Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boar War deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 23 Jun 2003 15:38

Does anyone know if it is possible to find relatives who may have been killed in the boar war? Obviously something like the Commonweath war graves site only goes back as far as World War One

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 23 Jun 2003 16:01

Yes! the PRO at Kew. Providing you know when and his regiment it should not be too difficult Im sure the records are in WO97. They are meantto be in alpabetical order. We found my great uncles records - he turned up in the miss-files! took us all day looking. Not sure what you do if you cant get to Kew.

Malc /GG and Jackie

Malc /GG and Jackie Report 23 Jun 2003 16:31

The Cambridgeshire FHS site has a boer war search option perhaps some of the others might as well? Malcolm

Frank

Frank Report 23 Jun 2003 19:51

margaret, go to this url http://www.genealogy-links.co.uk/html/more.links.html scroll down to it. its an amazing site for all links. you can contact me if you have problems.best of luck frank delamere

Margaret

Margaret Report 23 Jun 2003 21:01

Thanks all of you for your tips but I don't have anything specific, just trying to find people who are missing from the 1901 census and wondered if they were fighting or had been killed in the Boar war Margaret

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 24 Jun 2003 08:33

margaret... good old GRO have death reg's for British Soldiers who died in S.Africa 1899-1902 indexes are at the PRO and FRC. Casualty returns are also in WO/10889-91 and 338 at Kew. Ive just looked this up in Tracing your Ancestors in the PRO by Amanda Bevan, i got my copy from the library. good luck.