Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FamilySearch site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 15 Jun 2003 22:14

Hi, I managed to find the person i was looking for, my great great grandma, on this site. It also listed her parents. I searched for her father, Edward McMahon, and found her brother, also named Edward McMahon. In her family information, there is no mention of a brother, although they do have the same parents. How would i find all the children with the same parents as her, and why isnt there a link to them anyway? Also, how do i find out which Edward McMahon is her father? Do i have to go through every one and look for their fmaily / spouse and ties those in?

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Jun 2003 23:42

FamilySearch was compiled for religious, not genealogy reasons. Their records are incomplete and their coverage is patchy in some areas. In other words you're not going to find everyone in your family by using it and some of the information it provides was nothing more than a guesstimate by the original submitter. It is best used as a point of first call only, any results must be checked with the original parish records. That said I usually search for siblings by inputting fathers first and surname plus mothers first name in the parents section & then take a note as possible sibling any results that share a location.

Emma

Emma Report 15 Jun 2003 23:54

Hi Samantha. Thanks for your reply. I did try what you suggested, adding the fathers full name and the mothers first name, and i ened up with neither of their children! Very strange. Thanks again, Emma.