Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking For Ideas.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 12 Jun 2003 13:50

Hi,Wondering if any one can help me as to where to search next. Have got my Grandfathers name from my Parents Marriage Certificate. [John George Nichol.] I knew my g/father was killed in 1st World War, was able to find his details on Commonwealth War Graves site. This gave me date of death 18/11/1915. Told me he was Husband of Mary Hannah Nichol of 171 Vine StWallsend Northumberland. I have tried BMD and the Census sites but no luck as yet. The search is made more difficult as I know live in Australia. If any one has any ideas Iwould be most grateful. Thank you. Pat Bonner

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Jun 2003 14:34

He would not have ben married in 1901 as CWGG gives his age if death in 1915 as 30, so he would have been born around 1885 and have been about 16 at the time of the 1901 census.

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Jun 2003 14:55

There are 3 John Nichol on the 1901 census in Northumberland. 1 aged 15, 1 aged 16, 1 aged 17. Do you know the forenames of any of his siblings as with that we could probably narrow it down?

Pat

Pat Report 13 Jun 2003 06:16

Thank you Lorna and Brian for answering my inquiry. I did see the 3 names on 1901 and as we don't use a credit card I have ordered vouchers so as I can access the site,being so far away this all takes time. The reason I have so little info is my Dad was in the army, married my Mum in York, Went to 2nd World War and was killed in 1940. When my Mum remarried Dad's Family no longer wanted to know us. Such a shame as so much History is lost

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jun 2003 10:21

I repeat, if you have one or two siblings names we can almost certainly identify the parents and other siblings of John Nichol from the 1901 census without resorting to vouchers.

Pat

Pat Report 13 Jun 2003 12:05

Sorry Brian, Idon't know of any siblings and have no one to ask. I do know Mary widow of John remarried but have no idea of her married name. So sorry I have so little info. Thanks again. Pat