Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help (again) please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 10 Jun 2003 20:03

How can I go about tracing my late grandmothers family, i only have a rough idea of where she was born and only have her parents and siblings names, although I dont know her mothers maiden name. She wasn't born until 1926 so isn't mentioned on any of the census's online. On the 1881 and 1901 it list so many people with the same name as her father, and without knowing his date of birth, how can I be sure that I have found the right one? Any info will be gratefully recieved as I seem to have been looking forever.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2003 20:25

Sarah, If gran was born in 1926, have you tried looking for a copy of her Birth Certificate? You can search online and order the certificate from GRO. Jim

Marion

Marion Report 10 Jun 2003 21:07

Sarah, If you can find your grandmother on 1837online and you have a quarter and place of birth apply to the local registry office appropriate to the index given before you try the GRO. They will return your cheque if they can't match parents. GRO will charge for an incorrect entry so use them as a last resort and pay extra for a search if all else fails.