Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Corinne

Corinne Report 9 Jun 2003 19:31

How do I find out who my mother's birth parents were? She was born in 1941 and adopted in 1942. I have her adoption certificate but I don't know how to get her birth certificate. I'm not 100% sure where she was born although it was probably Cheltenham, Gloucester or Minsterworth.

Lynne

Lynne Report 9 Jun 2003 21:53

Corrine To add to William's advice, if you don't know her birth name, try the local authority social services department for the area you think she was born in. Also do a search for adoption agencies in the area and try them. I work for an adoption agency and we get lots of enquiries of this type. Good luck with your search. Lynne Sale

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2003 23:51

William, You say try the LDS for her father, but surely they would not be able to make this information public due to how recent it was. I do know that Church members used to be asked to complete their 4 generation pedigree (about 100 years back) so that they could then link up with the information being photographed from public records. So anyone born within the last 100 years or so will only appear in the IGI if they or a living relative, have submitted it. Hope you are successful Jim, Gosport.