Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Security warning!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jun 2003 21:48

Re: my security scare the other day.Well my brother in-law(he's very computer literate) re:installed McAfee Virus Scan and everything was downloading nicely,then it did a search and found a virus on AOL and would'nt clean or delete it.We turned pc off to re boot it and l lost everything.All l had was a black screen with writing on saying scanning for virus's,but nothing was happening,it crashed.As you can imagine l was devestated.So spent best part of the evening re installing.It appears the McAfee disc had a virus,or fault,is that possible?? Unfortunately l bought it about a yr ago from AOL.Will call into my computer shop in morning for Firewall thingy pack.I hope because of all this l have'nt caused anyone else to get a worm or virus,if so - my deepest apologies. Jude Heather.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2003 08:33

William Thanks for reply - when we installed, it did all the updates first,then loaded everything,then did a check,which told me l had a virus on AOL.This morning the "Your computer security setting prohibit running ActiveX controls etc" is back.I don't get it on anything else,just GC,every page.I will have to fork out on new virus package today.Thanks for help. Jude.