Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Requesting Copies of Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 6 Jun 2003 10:19

Just to let you know as it may help when requesting a copy of a birth certificate and you down load the form from the web site connected to 1837. It states a fee of 7.00 this is incorrect and is 8.50 make sure this is written clearly on the requst form otherwise it holds up the process of you getting the certificate. If this is all new to anyone and they want any assistance then give me a shout. Happy hunting. Nick.

Lynne

Lynne Report 6 Jun 2003 10:36

Nick Actually, if you apply to the local register office (where the event took place) the fee is only £7. If you have to apply to the Registrar General at Southport then it's £8.50. Lynne Sale

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 6 Jun 2003 10:53

Ar Ha!. Thanks for that.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 6 Jun 2003 11:10

In my local reg office I was charged £7 but when I requested one by phone in an office further away(which was the office local to the birth) I was charged £7.50 but that may have been for postage just don't know. Moral is check before you send anything, esp if you're impatient like me!!!

Natalie

Natalie Report 6 Jun 2003 12:41

You can also download the forms for certificates from the Office of Statistics (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/registration/certe_w/fees.asp) It costs £8.50 if you have the GRO reference (you can get that from free BMD web site) Without the GRO ref it costs £11.50 !! You can order certificates by phone, post or fax. Mine only took about 2 weeks to arrive! Natalie, Surrey

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Jun 2003 13:38

I have only had to pay 7.00 per certificate from the local Register office - and the guy was extremely helpful (and probably sick to death of me!!). This price included postage from England to Austria and I had no references or anything to give him - just a name and a possible date of birth - which turned out to be wrong!!

Katie

Katie Report 6 Jun 2003 15:10

I just get the details from Ancestry or Free BMD and send a cheque for £7 and an SAE to the records office local to the event. I usually get it back in about a week when from Plymouth and Portsmouth. Scottish records cost £13 - £23 if you want next day delivery. -Kate