Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paperchase Tips

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 6 Jun 2003 13:51

I am in the process of trying out this method and I hope I have as much success as I only have names and vague dates to go off. Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how I get on!

Katie

Katie Report 6 Jun 2003 22:16

Hi! I started out with just vague refrences, but it's surprising what you can find out from just a name and a year! ...especially if you are paying for it! Good Luck! :) -Kate

Katie

Katie Report 6 Jun 2003 22:21

I have found that my research has been much easier since starting a paperchase. ........................................ If you get your ancestors birth certificate, you can then find out their parents full names. ........................................ (eg: John Smith born 1901. Parents Harry Smith and Freda Smith, formerly Hodges). ........................................ With parents full names you can get their marriage certificate. ........................................ (John Smith and Freda Hodges married in or previous to 1901). ........................................ Their marriage certificate should give you their ages and fathers names. ........................................ (Married in 1900. John Smith - 31. father: Thomas Smith. Freda Hodges - 31. father: George Hodges). ........................................ Their full names, ages and fathers names should give you enough to get THEIR birth certificate. ........................................ (John Smith - b1869. father Thomas Smith. Freda Hodges - b1869. father George Hodges). ........................................ If you get the birth certifiate of the eldest child in the family, chances are that the parents were married not very far away from the parish where their first child was born. ........................................ Also, they are often married in the same year or the year before the childs birth! (A shotgun wedding). ........................................ Hope this helps anyone who is just starting out! It's always complicated at first! ........................................ Good Luck! -Kate