Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DEATH CERTIFICATES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzy

Suzy Report 5 Jun 2003 10:55

I have just received a copy of my GG Grandmother's death certificate, dated 1903. Does anyone know why it is beautifully typed up, so all the information is crystal clear, when all the birth and marriage certificates I've got are photocopies of the original entries, and sometimes impossible to read? Suzanne Orpington Kent

BrianW

BrianW Report 5 Jun 2003 11:41

If you ask for a copy then that is what you get, i.e. a copy typed up as a transcription of the original document or entry. Beware, though, that the accuracy cannot be guaranteed, I have a copy made in 1925 at Somerset house, of my grandfather's birth certificate in the 1880s and his mother's maiden name has been copied as Goddard. It was only after wasting a lot of time that I was able to determine that it was actually Gorrod !

Suzy

Suzy Report 5 Jun 2003 11:50

I thought that was the case Brian, but I just ordered the certificate in a batch of six; three birth and two marriage. I didn't specifically ask for a copy. The others were delivered as photocopies, but the death certificate was typed. I wondered if ALL death certificates were like this.

Christine

Christine Report 5 Jun 2003 13:55

I wanted a death certificate for my father in law and at the same time requested a full certificate for my daughter who was born in 1981. Both certificates were typed. When I enquired as why my daughters was typed and not written I was that modern technology had taken over. C Salibury S Wales