Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joanna Gould

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 13 Feb 2003 08:27

Can anybody tell me how I can get hold of the 1851 census? Is there a website or do I have to request it somehow? Thanks

Margaret

Margaret Report 31 Jan 2005 18:53

Im new at this myself. hopefully msn can help you there somewhere on there groups, but dont give up on here, this is known to be a great site, even though you might not get results straight away. lots of luck maggie sefcik(maiden) I am also doing my tree on here, and searching for my adopted daughter from 1979 whom was joanna carr, at adoption month around 11th month of same year. Help me if you can with any websites. I also have got in touch with the authroities to help me, knowing she is looking for me. Good Luck , if I can help please write here , im on connection site on this site, under sefcik 1954, and I have a tree starting on genesreunited aswel I have left messages for my adopted daughter under sefcik and Carr, anyway good luck again

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 31 Jan 2005 19:00

Joanna where are you from? I am researching GOULD. Linda x

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 19:07

Joanna If you put 1851 census in your thread title instead of your name, you would probably get a quicker response. 1851 is not available online. Parts of it (various counties) have been released on CD and if you put a request on the Records Office board, someone who has the cd for the area you want may be able to do a look-up. If you go to the Records Office board you can see the kinds of request and what sort of info people need. Some censuses are indexed by person, others require an address to look up. Additionally, the 1851 census is available on microfilm - all censuses are at the Family Records Centre in London, and all county records offices have those parts of the census for their area. nell

Joan Palmer

Joan Palmer Report 31 Jan 2005 19:09

This was requested by Joanna in 2003. Joan

Kate

Kate Report 31 Jan 2005 19:13

A small sample of the 1851 census is available online e.g. on ancestry and just appeared on "the genealogist", only a few percent of the whole census but you might get lucky and find some of your ancestors on there. I have found a few of mine on there. Mind you, it is only a transcript, without images. Also if you type 1851 census and the surname or some other details you are looking for into Google, sometimes you get lucky and find someone has put it up onto a website, I have found one or two that way, again, not an image just a transcription. Better than nothing, though.

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 19:24

Has anyone actually noticed that this message is 2 years old?

Joan Palmer

Joan Palmer Report 31 Jan 2005 19:28

I did Lou. Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 20:13

LOL Joan...wonder how this one ended up back at the top of the page!

Joan Palmer

Joan Palmer Report 31 Jan 2005 20:19

I think that Margaret replying pushed it to the top. I was beginning to think it was me reading the date wrong. Joan