Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone been to Dublin Records Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 31 Jul 2007 14:58

Hi Does anyoneone know where would be the best place to stay in Dublin whilst visiting the records office. Also any tips would be welcome. Thanks Ann

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Jul 2007 16:11

There isn't a Dublin Records Office as such but there are three places you might want to visit. The GRO Research Centre, Joyce House, 8/11 Lombard Street East , Dublin , 2. The registers are very similar to the English ones. There is a fee of €20.00 per day, or €2.00 for a particular search of up to 5 years. The National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street has the main microfilm collection of the Catholic Parish Registers. A genealogy advisory service is available free of charge to personal callers to the Library who wish to research their family history in Ireland. The primary aim of the service is to explain to first time researchers the sources that may be available to them in the Library and elsewhere. The National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, holds the 1901 and 1911 census on microfilm. However there is no name search index, so you need to know the area. This may be about to change because the project to index the records is now well underway. You need a reader's ticket, which is free, but you need to have ID such as a passport. Before you visit you need to be very clear what it is you wish to achieve, otherwise you will just waste your time with nothing to show for it. We found the GRO most fruitful, but then were were lucky in having a fairly rare name to look for.

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 31 Jul 2007 16:16

thanks very much Peter, that is very useful. I have a readers ticket for Lancashire, but I dont expect that will be ok, but I will take my passport. I will have a look to see if I can find a hotel close by Thanks for your help kind regards Ann

Haribo

Haribo Report 5 Sep 2007 18:23

I will be visiting the Dublin GRO in Oct and would appreciate any more tips..Many Thanks.

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 5 Sep 2007 19:45

Nudge for later in the year. Good advice. Thanks Peter.

Jo

Al M

Al M Report 5 Sep 2007 20:13

Though not a small city, Dublin is not a huge city like London. All those record offices are in the centre and you can walk around the whole of Dublin city centre pretty easily (so long as you are mobile!), so I don't think you don't need to try to stay near to any of the record offices you plan to visit. Obviously I'd say staying in the city centre is best if you can find somewhere within your budget there, seeing as all those records offices are central.

Haribo

Haribo Report 5 Sep 2007 23:17

Thanks for that Al

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 6 Sep 2007 00:09

Bear in mind that civil registration in Ireland didn't start as early as England and Wales and that there isn't a complete census run either.

With regads to hotels, public transport is very good and very cheap, so as long as you have a hotel on or near a main road into the city centre, you ought to be okay, if that helps with the finances.

A super city with loads to see and do.
Enjoy your visit.

Jay