Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange family set up on 1851 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 20:24

Yet again another relative is doing their darn best to confuse me. I have a James Catterall, Alice catterall ( maiden name unknown) They have 2 sons registered, one surname inchcliffe aged 14,the other surname Marton- aged 7. Has this Alice married and had kids with 2 previous men before meeting James? Where they fostor children? I just find it rather confusing. I tried to find them on earlier and later census details ( using alternative spellings) but they have dissapeared. Name: Uriah Inchcliffe Age: 14 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837 Relation: Son Father's Name: James Mother's Name: Alcie Gender: Male Where born: Blackburn, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Blackburn Town: Blackburn County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: 3 John Street,Blackburn Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View Image Registration district: Blackburn Sub-registration district: Blackburn ED, institution, or vessel: 1ww Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 67 Household Members: Name Age Alcie Catterall 34 Born Livesy,lancs James Catterall 28 Born Bolton Uriah Inchcliffe 14 Born Blackburn John Marton 7 Born Blackburn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Aug 2007 20:39

This is from BVRI: Uriah Hencliffe christened 22 Oct.1837, Blackburn, Lancashire. Collestion St. Mary the Virgin. Parents Edward & Alice. I don't know, is Hencliffe close enough to Inchcliffe? Update- Just had a look at the 51 census. Looks as if Uriah is a son of a previous marriage of Alice but how does 7 year old John Marton fit in? He's also labelled a son!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Aug 2007 20:55

On Free BMD James Catterall and Alice INSLI_O are on the same page for marriages in Dec. Q 1848, Blackburn. Could she possibly be Inchcliffe?

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 21:12

Ive found 2 births in Blackburn that may be John Marton- Name: John Martin Year of Registration: 1843 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Blackburn County: Lancashire Volume: 21 Page: 66 Name: John Morton Year of Registration: 1843 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Blackburn County: Lancashire Volume: 21 Page: 9 I wonder if Alice was a Marton/Morton/martin then married Hencliffe/inchcliffe- then returned to maiden name when had john? Aaaggh- this family are bonkers- its like Jerry Springer show.

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 21:15

Or is it she was Inchcliffe-had son out of wedlock-married marton/morton/martin, had next son then married catterall?

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 22:18

Dee- my gggg uncle obviously married a woman who killed her husbands regularly with poison and went on Ye Olde Jerry Springer Show. Nic x ( banging head on wall repeatedly)

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 14 Aug 2007 22:34

I have strange one too. In the 1881 census, William Davies, 65 and Sarah Davies, 62, have their 'son', William Page age 8, living with them !!! I have looked at the image and it is not a transcription error, but what the enumerator wrote down. By backtracking the census, and using freebmd, I found out that William is really their great nephew - in the previous census, Sarah Ann Tebbs, 23, niece and Joseph Page, 35, boarder are living with them, and they got married in 1872. Di

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 23:24

Now following the trail of Alice Sutcliffe, who married a James Martin.Blackburn.