Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thoughts please: Upholsterer 1860s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 17:59

Please see below

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 18:05

Does anyone know what sort of income an upholsterer/Journeyman upholsterer would have had in the 1860s? His daughter, aged 15, is employed as a live-in domestic servant in another part of Lancaster. Would this have been through choice (her father had remarried after her mother died and she may not have got on with her stepmother) or because it was necessary for her to earn her own living? I'm going off for a bit but will check in again later. I'll be grateful for any ideas. Amanda

Sue

Sue Report 14 Aug 2007 18:39

I have a couple of Upholsterer's in my tree. In 1871 the 17 yr old daughter was employed as a 'fancy trimmings maker'. Whether this was part of the business or not I don't know (they lived in the Spitalfields/ Shoreditch area which was a big silk weaving district and I have female rellies similary employed) but it seems to me that she worked out of neccessity. It was a family business - his father and uncle were in the trade too. I expect it's like a lot of these trades though - it depends on the class of your customer and how much they'll pay! Not much help really! Sue

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 18:56

Sue, Thanks. That IS a help. I had fancied him an affluent craftsman and had thought it odd that his daughter was working as a servant and even odder that his son, a year younger, is to be found living with distant relatives, even further away, and working at a coal mine. I had thought perhaps the new wife hadn't wanted them around. But, as you say, that sort of business might not provide a regular and reliable income and the children may have had to work. It sounds to me like your fancy trimmings maker would most likely have been making those trimmings for furniture. Thanks again Amanda

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Aug 2007 18:58

From ' Mid Victorian Britain 1851-75' by Geoffrey Best There were 39,000 Cabinet makers/upholsterers in 1867 with an average weekly wage of 28-30 shillings. Put in context the highest paid professions were paid 35 shillings for Scientific, surgical and optical instrument makers, Jewellers, watchmakers etc The lowest pay was 12 shillings which soldiers and silk workers received and 14 shillings for road labourers and scavengers. Basically a hell of a lot better off than most workers.

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 19:04

Janet Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed. I have unmarried daughters of miners and weavers living at home and NOT going out to work, so it does seem as though my upholsterer's daughter shouldn't have needed to. Amanda

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Aug 2007 19:45

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, OH had got my tea ready so I thought I should eat it. As you say the daughter was going out to work that would have been normal. No doubt your weavers and miners daughters also worked but their work just wasn't put down on the census form becuse it was known that it was just a job until they married. Of course the daughters may have been at home looking after the younger siblings while Mum worked in the mill from dawn till dusk. I'm currently reading 'The road to Nab End' by William Woodruff. Its a fascinating biography of his childhood in Lancashire. Both his parents worked in the cotton Mill and his sister left school when he was born to look after him (she was 11 I think)

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 20:29

Janet, Yes, you could be right there. Amanda

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 14 Aug 2007 21:12

Bear in mind that for any craftsman there was the continual problem of having to lay out money for materials. If it was a big job, this would be expensive AND there would be no income whilst the work was being done. Also , it was sometimes the case that the richer the client, the longer the tradesman had to wait for his money. A lot of craftsmen just couldn't afford to take on family members into the business. Taking on your son meant double the outlay for materials. Jay

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 14 Aug 2007 21:23

Thanks for your comments, everone. Very illuminating. Regards Amanda