Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An idea for keeping family details on paper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Aug 2007 08:27

I found i was getting bogged down with papers/print offs etc, and as im doing this for my nans christmas pressie i felt it would all be confusing for her. Now this is a little time consuming but ive found it really works for me- im giving my nan a family tree print off which will simply show name/dob/death. Ive bought some index cards ( those in a box with alphabetical dividers) I have a card for each person ( filed under surname) and on each card im adding all known details- ie- occupation and address of each census- details of marriage/witnessess/place of baptism/burial / and also attaching a copy of any birth/marriage certs.etc. Hopefully (fingers crossed it works) all my Nan ( and me..) have to do is pick out the persons file from the folder and all the info is available. Everything is in one little folder rather than the 4 i had originally!

Mumsy

Mumsy Report 14 Aug 2007 09:56

I use the 'Printable Family Tree forms' from this site which can be found on the home page and keep them in ring binders. Works for me. Mumsy.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Aug 2007 10:18

Good idea - this is fine whilst your tree is small but you will find it becomes unmanageable as your tree grows. Why not use a program such as FTM. It has the facilities for recording all these snippets of information and printing out the details on reports, when you want hard copy to give to someone.