Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I look now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 14 Aug 2007 07:05

Hello All, I have been having a ball on the three day free trial on Ancestry! I have found an individual Mark Elwood who emigrated from Uk to Ohio USA. I have managed to finds records of him in Ohio 1830 (census) but cannot work out where he came from in UK & also when he sailed over & with whom. The US 1850 census says he was 56 from England with wife Mary age 51 from Penn & children Eliza 19, James 18, Lucinda 15 & Pheobe (?) 12. He married in Ohio to Mary but I think he was already married before. I cannot find the births of his children or his marriage. Where can I look now for more info? Thanks, Gillian

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 14 Aug 2007 08:14

There is a marriage to Mary on familysearch.org on the IGI in 1821. This could be his previous wife.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 14 Aug 2007 08:21

There are also a few births listed on the Pedigree Resource file. You could try contacting the submitter for more information.

Judith

Judith Report 14 Aug 2007 08:36

As a starting place for searching for where in the UK he came from - looking at the surname Elwood on the English 1841 census the majority of the 518 people with that name were living either in the Cambs/Suffolk/Huntingdon area 167, or from Cumberland/Westmorland/Lancashire/Durham/Yorkshire 204. I noticed quite a lot of those who were scattered around the rest of the country were not born in county and Ireland figured as place of birth for a fair number.

Gigi

Gigi Report 14 Aug 2007 08:56

Hi Tracy & Judith, Thanks for the replies. I did find a marriage to Mary Wyant 1846 Ohio from the IGI. I think that Mark Elwood came from the Cumberland/Westmorland area but have no proof other than there are a lot of Mark Elwoods from there & the name Mark gets passed down through the generations. Gillian