Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptism/birth lookup please - Worcestershire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 13 Aug 2007 21:16

see below

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 13 Aug 2007 21:17

I have a Sarah Crumpton who married a George Goodyear in Worcestershire in 1850. I have obtained their marriage cert and it says that she was 21 on 19.05.1850 and her father was a John Crumpton, occupation Forgeman. The only possibility I have found on the 1841 census is an Ann Cumpton (possibly a middle name?) born abt 1828 with parents John and Jane. I have looked on other census' and their name is supposed to be Crumpton and John works at an Iron works. Also in 1861 Sarah Goodyear (nee Crumpton) lives about 4 doors away from John (for some reason transcribed as Samuel )and Jane. I do think I have enough circumstancial evidence to think that Sarah is the daughter of John and Jane, but I want to make sure. If anybody has parish records for Worcestershire, I would be very grateful if you could have a look to see if you could find a baptism for her. Thank you, Vicky X

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 13 Aug 2007 21:21

Sorry I have to go. I will check replies tomorrow. Vicky X

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 21:36

Perhaps sarah was in service at a different house- she would,ve been old enough. Did your sarah sign her marriage certificate herself? If she marked an x instead and was illiterate someone alse may have given her name spelling for her- there are many sarah Crump's in service on the 1841 census. And how did you arrive at jane as the mother?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 21:42

What was given as Sarah's address on the marriage cert? Could you tell us in which town/village in Worcs these people were located............ Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 21:49

So that we know where we're looking..........this is the marriage Sarah Crumpton 1850 Apr-May-Jun Stourbridge Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire George Goodyear 1850 Apr-May-Jun Stourbridge Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire Are these who you think to be Sarah's parents in 1851? Name: John Crumpton Age: 46 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1805 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Jane Gender: Male Where born: Quat, Shropshire, England Civil Parish: Stourbridge Ecclesiastical parish: Oldswinford County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Registration district: Stourbridge Sub-registration district: Stourbridge ED, institution, or vessel: 1l Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 24 Household Members: Name Age Charles Crumpton 15 Jane Crumpton 45 b. Stourbridge Jane Crumpton 11 John Crumpton 46 John Crumpton 4 Ruth Crumpton 7 William Crumpton 18 The father is employed in the Iron Works. Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 21:58

The family names in 1841 match (more or less) those in 1851.....and the image looks like Crumpton Name: Ann Cumpton Age: 13 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828 Gender: Female Where born: Worcestershire, England Civil Parish: Old Swinford Hundred: Halfshire (Lower Division) County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Registration district: Stourbridge Sub-registration district: Stourbridge Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ann Cumpton 13 Charles Cumpton 4 Elizabeth Cumpton 2 Mo Jane Cumpton 35 Jane Cumpton 2 John Cumpton 35 Occ: Forgeman John Cumpton 7 William Cumpton 9 The address is the same: Bowling Green Lane Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 22:02

What about this one? 1841........she's a female servant Name: Sarah Campton Age: 12 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829 Gender: Female Where born: Worcestershire, England Civil Parish: Old Swinford Hundred: Halfshire (Lower Division) County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Registration district: Stourbridge Sub-registration district: Stourbridge Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Sarah Campton 12 Helen Grange 30 James Grange 1 Jas Grange 30 Jno Grange 5 Mary Grange 6 Sarah Grange 3 Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 22:06

There is a death in Stourbridge dist in 1846 of an Ann Crumpton.........may possibly explain why she isn't with the family in 1851......... Similarly, one in 1842 for an Elizabeth............ Would have to be checked, of course........... Reg

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 14 Aug 2007 21:43

Hi, thanks for replying. All it says on the marriage cert for Sarah Crumpton and George Goodyear is that their residence was Stourbridge. On all census' Sarah puts her place of birth as Stourbridge. All the handwriting is the same, but it doesn't say 'mark of' next to their names. I did think that the fact they lived so close together could be a sign, but I would rather be sure......... I don't really know where to go next from here, any suggestions? Thanks Vicky