Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY TREE?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****libra

*****libra Report 13 Aug 2007 19:31

Have you only put your family tree on GR? Or Ancestry? I have done same on Gr, But put more infomation on my family tree maker. dont know if i have done right, or i have made a mess of things. Look forwarf to your avice. libra.

Martin

Martin Report 13 Aug 2007 19:35

I have a tree on here with approx 480 rellies, however these are not all definately mine, but have found that by adding them people will contact and confirm or discount them. this way it works out cheaper then me buying certificates for family members who are very distant. i have hand written a tree with all the family members that i can guarantee are mine. Martin

Susan

Susan Report 13 Aug 2007 23:48

Hi My tree on g/r only has about 380 fam members - know all to be mine, this is primarily for matching purposes. Have main tree on home comp - use Family Legends which I find much preferral to FTM, I can make a stand alone copy of tree for family members to have, without them having to have program. Also have tree(s) on tribal pages which is thoroughly complete. Sue

Peter

Peter Report 14 Aug 2007 01:50

Martin, Can you explain the advantages of posting names on your GR tree that you are unsure of? Doesn't it mean that you get lots of hotmatches that you can't in all honesty vouch for? Any further links you receive could be entirely erroneous too. Peter

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Aug 2007 18:39

You do what you want to do, and don't be persuaded by others that there way is better. It might be but may not suit your way of working. I have a cut down tree on here which contains only people who are connected to my family, including cousins and their families. This has the names that I am most interested in, which is the main reason for this site. FTM keeps my master files and I have a near copy of this on Rootsweb. This also brings the occasional enquiry from people who have connections with some of my mini 'one-name' studies that I have spawned off my main tree, which is my other interest.

Martin

Martin Report 14 Aug 2007 18:49

Hi Peter Evans I've added people to my tree on GR that i believe to be mine but have not been able to fully guarantee them as mine, this does give me many hot matches, but this way i can contact people who are close descendants of these people who can confirm my links with these very distant relatives. I know people on here with over 15000 people in there tree's now surely these people have not searched all these alone and bought certs etc to guarantee these people as their relatives. that at a minimum of £7.00 per cert would cost a very large amount. Martin