Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation help please!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 13 Aug 2007 19:20

Hi Can anyone tell me what a - Shingler at Iron Works would be please? Thank you Mary

Moira

Moira Report 13 Aug 2007 19:22

Hi all my family were in the iron works and I have not come accross Shingler but many were slingers Moira

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 19:25

SHINGLER - A roof tiler who used wooden tiles (shingles)

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 13 Aug 2007 19:25

Thanks Moira - it definately looks like Shingler but maybe it is Slingler? What is a Slinger please? Mary

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 13 Aug 2007 19:26

Hi Nicola, that's what I thought it was which is why it threw me a bit. :-) Mary

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 13 Aug 2007 19:26

Here you go this is from: http://rmhh*co*uk/occup/index*html (replace * with . ) Shingler: Worked with an Iron Puddler, manipulating puddled balls of iron on an anvil

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 13 Aug 2007 19:28

Ahhh, so not necessarily a roof tiler then, thanks. Mary

Moira

Moira Report 13 Aug 2007 19:30

A slinger worked inside the iron works at the bottom of the crane. The would Sling the chains around the iron that had to be moved and then he would signal to the crane driver to move the iron, it could be iron bars or moulton iron in coldrons. Moira