Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shortest Military Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leclerc

Leclerc Report 13 Aug 2007 18:21

In downloading my Grandfathers WW1 pension file, I saw that he had only done 27 days service 04/09/1914 - 30/09/1914, he was discharged as medically unfit, the B204 regulations criteria. In looking further I could see nothing obviously wrong like flat feet etc. however I think it was probabaly his stature, poor old sod, he was 5'5' weighed less than 9 stone had a chest of 34', I just think he wasn't upto it, but hey at least he tried. What's the shortest military service you've come across in your family???, Perhaps we can have a league table !!!! L

Sue

Sue Report 13 Aug 2007 18:42

I think you'd win! I thought my grandfather's service of 4 months was short but he deserves a long service medal in comparison! Mine was also discharged on medical grounds but as I don't have his pension records I don't know what was wrong, he did die at the age of 52 of TB so maybe they saw something.... Sue

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 13 Aug 2007 20:02

I've seen a couple of men in the pension records who were about my size: 5ft 2in and 9 stone.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 Aug 2007 22:38

My grandfather was 5 foot 3, chest fully expanded 33.5 inches and 95 lb. He joined in 30th oct 1905 aged 18 and 10 months and went awol on 29th Nov 1905.He was dishonourably discharged the following July for larceny. I'm just over 3 inches shorer than him with a 34 inch bust and I weigh 112 lb. My Dad was the same height and had a waist measurment of 28 inches with the middle age spread. Guess we're not fighting machines!

Lesley

Lesley Report 15 Aug 2007 12:15

Here's one found for me yesterday by very helpfull people on here.my grandfather cameron Keith.Went in sept 1914 , discharged 2nd nov 1914. Reason, 'unlikely to make an efficient soldier '. My mum said it was because he wouldn't do as he was told.According to her sister anyway.It's a family traite.:-)

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 15 Aug 2007 14:47

Hi, My granddad was in for ten months, and I thought that was short, and out of that hewas in France for three of them, again demobed as medically unfit due to poor vision made worse by war service. He was 32 when callrd up. Frank