Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is some one trying to scam me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

happydaze

happydaze Report 13 Aug 2007 17:20

I have just been asked to send my tree onto someone, with out them confirming their details, connection to family etc. Is this normal practice? or am I being scammed? Chris

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 13 Aug 2007 17:22

I wouldn't do it unless they were prepared to confirm a few details. Are you sure it's not one of those automated messages? Sheila

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 13 Aug 2007 17:32

I would ask politly for more information of late I have been asked for my details who havn't asked for any and people have been asking me if I wan't to see their tree can I give them more information who I have not contacted. Paul

happydaze

happydaze Report 13 Aug 2007 17:34

How do you know if its an automated msg? Have asked for the person to confirm their interest before passing anything on. Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Aug 2007 17:43

Not sure what you mean. Have you received a GR message with 'Request to View Your Tree' in the subject matter? In which case the other person has simply sent you the standard GR message. Is this person a contact or is this the first time they have been in touch?

Julie

Julie Report 13 Aug 2007 19:46

As discussed on another thread last night... be very carefull who you give permission to view your tree. I work for a bank.. and you would be amazed at he amount of fraudsters whose job it is to build profiles on unsuspecting individuals... you would also be amazed at how many times they will call in one day trying to guess the password and d.o.b on other peoples bank details... so that they can raid any account they can get their hands on... so a geneaology site with trees on would be a paradise to them... considering it holds most information required for identity and security questions. never open your tree unless you are 100% sure who you are opening it to and that they have a genuine connection to your family. Regards Julie

Huia

Huia Report 13 Aug 2007 21:51

I have just replied to somebody who sent a 'please may I see your tree' (I did contact them initially about a mutual name and dob) that I am following the lead of others in first asking for details of how the person is connected to them, as I have in the past had people copying my whole tree, even though they are extremely distantly related. I have told the person a bit about my ancestor, but not a great deal, and I hope they will reciprocate, in which case I will open my tree to them if there is a real connection.