Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cant make out occupation- any ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 12:30

I cant make out the occupation of a relative on the scan of a census record. I was hoping one of you could give me a clue! 1851 England census-Daniel Greenfield 1817, Born Brockmoor,Staffordshire, Residing in Kingswinford,Brockmoor,Staffordshire. Spouse Sarah. Im sorry i dont know if there is an easier way to search- any reference numbers i should give you to search on. On other census's he is a shoe maker, but i cant make this one out. Thankyou, Nic x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Aug 2007 12:33

He's a cordwainer, a fancy term for shoemaker.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Aug 2007 12:35

Cordwainer Maureen

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 12:45

Thankyou very much- i would never have fathomed it out! Are there any websites listing old proffessions? I suspect i may have a few more of these lurking around. Im now 'filling out' my family tree by adding addresses/professions etc.

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 12:55

Got another strange one- Puddler and Under Puddler. Sounds amusing whatever it is!!

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Aug 2007 13:08

Clare-thanks for those site links- saved to favourites-they will definately come in handy. Being a puddler sounds pretty darn rubbish!!

Caz

Caz Report 13 Aug 2007 15:12

Nudge. I'm always struggling with occupations so it will certainly be useful to me. Thanks for the info. Caz

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 13 Aug 2007 15:18

this one is a good site for old occupations too: http://rmhh*co*uk/occup/index*html regards Jane

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Aug 2007 17:54

this is a good site too http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c2.html. Shirley if it doesnt come up google Old Occuptions. It didnt But was the same one as Jane Gateshead added above