Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hiding living relatives????updated

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 13 Aug 2007 09:26

I thought It was ok for me to let someone see my tree. I had ticked hide living relatives. when I went on to look at this persons tree...he has added a lot of my names including living ones. I was sure he would not see my living ones. Marion

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 13 Aug 2007 09:59

Does this mean you cannot hide living rellies? Marion

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Aug 2007 10:01

well wherever he got them from hes not allowed to have them on his tree without their authority. Ask him to remove them, if he doesnt then report it to genes whos will remove them for you. You should be able to hide them tho so seems something went wrong . Shirley

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Aug 2007 10:04

Just double checked mine and the hide living relatives is ticked BUT you have to click on save for it to be actioned. i bet if you go back into your accont its unticked. Try again and then click the save button under it. Shirley

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 13 Aug 2007 10:16

Thanks Shirley, I have now gone back in and saved it to make sure.I have also contacted GR. I wonder how many others are unaware they are giving a lot of info out. Marion

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 13 Aug 2007 10:17

Thanks Claire. I hope you told your friend. cheers Marion

Julie

Julie Report 13 Aug 2007 10:17

Just to let you know it is easy to work them out. They are still there if you do a name search, and of course it will say yes where you have had contact

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 13 Aug 2007 10:26

Thanks Julie, Yes I realise that. but it makes it harder to link family up. Marion

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 14 Aug 2007 08:35

Had a reply from Gr. I did not realise you can still see names years and birth place even if privatised. I thought it only showed dates of people you had put a death date in for. Oop's Marion