Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a reason why a birth wouldnt be on bmd?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 12 Aug 2007 20:52

My great grans isnt, several people have checked too.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Aug 2007 21:01

Hi Ya, I am having the same problem with my great grandfather.. They are not related are they.. lol. I have hit a major brick wall because of this and can't seem to break it down. Julie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2007 21:05

What name are you looking for and about when was she born? Kath. x

Huia

Huia Report 12 Aug 2007 21:07

Depends what year it was. In the early days of registration some people were suspicious of it and didnt register the birth. My OHs gt gt grandmother b about 1844 wasnt reg, neither were her siblings as far as I can see, and with the surname Brown it is a real brick wall, cant find parish records for the place either :(

Huia

Huia Report 12 Aug 2007 21:08

Could they have been adopted? Or foundlings?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Aug 2007 21:16

As registration wasn't compulsory until 1875, it is not unusual for births before that year to have gone unregistered...... Reg

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 12 Aug 2007 21:35

I know of someone born in 1944 who is not on the BMD index. I have no idea why. Other family members are listed.

gails37

gails37 Report 12 Aug 2007 22:35

I am having the same issue not finding a marriage (my GGM second marriage on my Dad's side) and a death (my GGF mother's side) on BMD. Both were around 1901-1903. 'Naturally' the death was just before the census and the marriage after. Gail

David

David Report 12 Aug 2007 23:40

Could they be mis-spelled, or illegible? Some of the records were handwritten and were practcally unreadable, some of the printed ones also. I found my g/f born in 1878 by putting only the first few letters. Free BMDs had stars for some of the last letters of his name as they couldn't read them.