Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do we go from here?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LB

LB Report 12 Aug 2007 15:47

Please see below

LB

LB Report 12 Aug 2007 15:48

I was trying to find out more about my Gt Gt Grandfather John Lenton and eventually gave up, but I’ve recently discovered a 2nd cousin through a ‘Hot Match’ and we have decided to join forces and have another go. We had both, individually, hit the same brick wall and would welcome some advice about what to do next. We know that our Gt Gt Grandfather John Lenton was born in Sowe-Warwick (apparently now known as Walsgrave on Sower, Warwickshire) in about 1816. He was married to Mary, according to census records, born in Endersby, Leicestershire in 1827. In 1851 they were living in Aldermans Green (a district of Coventry) with their children. John is employed as a Bricklayer’s Labourer and Mary a Ribbon Weaver. Later census’s describe John as a Weaver. We have the marriage certificate of John Lenton and Mary Jones who wed on 24th July 1845 at The Parish Church of Foleshill. We had both found this marriage individually before we met. John’s father was named as William Lenton, a Labourer and Mary’s father was also called William and he was a Labourer too. The witnesses were Thomas Jones and Emma Jones. Thomas and Emma were the names given to John and Mary’s first son and daughter (they both died in childhood). We are sure we have the correct marriage. However, I have never been able to find either John or Mary’s families on the 1841 census. I have, with the help of others over time, searched for John with a fine tooth comb, the name John Lenton was a very common name in that area at that time and none of them fit. He has been confused with the John Lenton who was a Coal Miner, but that is not him, as John the Coal Miner is in a different family on the 1851 census. 2nd cousin found an entry in the 1841 census for a John Lenton living in Handsworth, Staffordshire, aged 25, with three males – William Lenton aged 35, Wm Orton aged 40 and Wm Timmins aged 30. Both John and William are recorded as Weaver’s and not born in that county. How can we find out if this is our John Lenton? I visited Coventry Records Office last year and found a baptism for a John Lenton, son of William and Elizabeth Lenton, their abode being Sowe Waste, in June of 1815 in the Parish of Sowe. There was also a baptism recorded for a William Lenton in the Parish of Sowe, son of William and Elizabeth Lenton, living in Sowe Waste in November 1817. I also found the Marriage Banns for William Lenton and Elizabeth Everton in the November of 1813. Again, how do we know if they are our Lenton’s ? On the Rootsweb website, in the Warwickshire section, there are lots of messages posted by people looking for their Coventry Lentons, so we know we are not alone but we haven’t got a clue what to do next! We would be so disappointed if we couldn’t get any further back. 2nd cousin has now gone on holiday and I said I would use this time to post this message, and just maybe some one can point us in the right direction. Many thanks LB

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Aug 2007 16:30

Did you see this record on Familysearch? It's a submitted record which I think are very questionable. John Lenton born 1816, Sowe, Warwick, died 14 July 1846.

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Aug 2007 16:41

Matches the igi entry death John Lenton 1846 Jul-Aug-Sep Foleshill Warwickshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Aug 2007 16:44

Match for the death and igi 1841 John Lenton abt 1816 Warwickshire, England Foleshill Warwickshire John Lenton abt 1816 Warwickshire, England Foleshill Warwickshire

LB

LB Report 12 Aug 2007 16:55

Thank you for those replies. However, that John Lenton is not the correct one - 'my' John died in Shoreditch, East London in 1890. Sometime in between 1856 and 1860 the family moved down to London. This was most likely in search of work as the weaving industry in Coventry had collapsed. There was a thriving furniture industry in Shoreditch which would have required weavers. LB

LB

LB Report 13 Aug 2007 06:57

Nudging, still hoping for help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Aug 2007 11:36

Do you have an address on John & Mary's marriage cert? Reg

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 13 Aug 2007 11:51

Hi Just a few random thoughts about things I have tried in this situation. Have you looked for William and Elizabeth Lenton or the Jones parents, in the 1841/51 census, or their deaths in the GRO indexes ? Most of my ancestors who married in the 1840s, had parents still living in 1841 (some lived until after 1881) Have you discovered anything about Thomas Jones and Emma Jones - were they husband and wife, or siblings ? Have you tracked down the possible brother William Lenton in any other census ? Sometimes trying to work around the problem finds an interesting visitor on census night. Di

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Aug 2007 12:52

I can't find John & Mary's family on the 1851 census. Am I missing something?

emily is driving me dotty

emily is driving me dotty Report 13 Aug 2007 15:46

Making sure i have the right family is this them in 1881? Name: John Lenton Age: 65 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Walsgrave On Sower, Warwickshire, England Civil Parish: Shoreditch County/Island: London Country: England Street address: 2 New St Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View Image Occupation: Silk Fringe Weaver Registration district: Shoreditch Sub-registration district: St Leonard ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age David Lenton 25 John Lenton 65 Joseph Lenton 18 Martha Lenton 16 Mary Lenton 54 Mary Ann Lenton 20 Thomas Lenton 34 Hannah Reardon 30 lorraine

emily is driving me dotty Report 13 Aug 2007 16:04

Name: Thomas Jones Age: 14 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827 Gender: Male Where born: Warwickshire, England Civil Parish: Foleshill Hundred: Coventry County/Island: Warwickshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: View Image Registration district: Foleshill Sub-registration district: Foleshill Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Jones 40 Elizabeth Jones 12 Emma Jones 8 Lucy Jones 5 Martha Jones 3 Mary Jones 16 Sarah Jones 10 Thomas Jones 14 William Jones 40 ag labourer THE ADDRESS IS ALDERMAN GREEN View Original Record View original image View blank form Save This Record Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source MANUALLY SEARCH STOWE WARWICHSHIRE BOTH DISTRICTS PLUS 1-6 DISTRICTS OF Foleshill PLUS BOTH WORKHOUSES. 7-11 TO GO DO THEM LATER IF I CAN LOOKING FOR JOHN LENTON. Excuse the capitals just needed it to stand out from the rest. Lorraine.

LB

LB Report 13 Aug 2007 17:51

Many thanks to you all for your replies and I apologise for the delay in my reply. Reg – unfortunately there are no addresses on John and Mary’s marriage certificate. It just says that John was resident at Bell Green and Mary at Alderman’s Green. Di – I don’t know the relationship between the witnesses Thomas and Emma Jones. Nor have tried any of what you suggested but I will follow all your tips up. Margaret – the Lentons are on the 1851 census. Unfortunately I haven’t still got the original census but from the notes I made from it I know that Mary was a Ribbon Weaver and John was a Bricklayer’s Labourer. They were living in Aldeman’s Green with their children - Thomas born c1847, William born 1849 and Emma born 1851. Lorraine – Yes, you have the right family on the 1881 census and thank you for the Jone’s info. I guess that will be a good starting point to searching for my Jones’s, where did you get it from? With thanks to everyone again. If anybody has any further thoughts please let me know. Meanwhile I’ll get going on all the searching I have to do! LB

emily is driving me dotty Report 13 Aug 2007 19:18

Hi LB, Got the information of Ancestry.co.uk If you send your email by pm i will send it to you. I am down to the last district of foleshill warwickshire. There are some Elizabeths about 60 yrs old and a John with a wife Jane but haven,t come across John yet . The name Bell green rings a bell though see if i can find it again to double check. Did you note the thomas Jones and Emma Jones didn't you say they were witnesses siblings of Mary. Anyway just go and finish checking. Lorraine at least they weren't in the workhouse .

LB

LB Report 13 Aug 2007 21:17

Many thanks Lorriane. I have pm'd my e-mail address. Yes, the witnesses at John and Mary's wedding were called Thomas Jones and Emma Jones, although I don't know the relationship between them. The info you found on Ancestry, if right, would be in keeping with them being siblings. LB