Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANT FIND A MARRIAGE! ANY HELP OR IDEAS APPRECIATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelly

Shelly Report 12 Aug 2007 15:06

i've already posted on the Records office board, but thought i'd try my luck on here as well. see below

Shelly

Shelly Report 12 Aug 2007 15:06

hi. i'm trying to find the marriage of Sampson Copestake and Elizabeth (maiden name unknown). It would have been before 1837, possibly around 1820. They had a son baptised in Lambeth, Surrey in 1821. I've tried Pallots marriage index and the IGI and Googling. The only one that appeared was too early in 1732. Its possible that they were married in a different parish but where that could be, i have no idea. Elizabeth died in 1849, death certificate states 'widow of sampson copestake'. a kind GR member found her in 1841 census, her surname mistranscribed as 'copestick'. She was living in Finsbury with a family as a nurse. she was aged 50 and not born in the county. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated Shelly

Heather

Heather Report 12 Aug 2007 16:49

Well looking at ancestry it seems the Copesticks/stakes come from the Derbyshire/Notts/Staffs area. Is Elizabeth definitely the first wife? Have you found Sampson's death? I mean was she really the 'widow' or he had left her for someone else??? This guy not him? 1851: : Sampson Copestake Age: 50 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Ann Gender: Male Where born: Smelston, Derbyshire, England Civil Parish: St Pancras County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View Image Registration district: Pancras Sub-registration district: Kentish Town ED, institution, or vessel: 1h Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 129 Household Members: Name Age Mary Barton 12 Elizabeth Brown 28 Ann Copestake 55 Sampson Copestake 50 Sampson Copestake 12

Shelly

Shelly Report 12 Aug 2007 17:21

thanks for your reply Heather. I have found no death record of Sampson, except the one who was married to Ann. Elizabeth's sampson either died before 1837 or he was the same sampson who married Ann. However, the latter theory would mean that he committed bigamy as his marriage to Ann was in 1824. I have looked at all theories, but unless i find a marriage of sampson and Elizabeth i wont know for sure shelly