Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 death possibly?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rhona

Rhona Report 11 Aug 2007 20:48

Just found out about a great uncle today I never knew about. Thing is I have his name and dob but then its a dead end, no one left alive to tell me any more about him sadly. I think he may have been in WW2 and poss died during the war. Every site I try wants payment to check and I just cant afford it right now, where should I look? thanks Rhona

Janice

Janice Report 11 Aug 2007 20:51

If he died in WW2 he should be on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. http://www.cwgc.org/ It's free. Janice

Rhona

Rhona Report 12 Aug 2007 13:46

Thanks Janice, very much appreciated. I went onto that site and I have found only one person matching the details, his service number is listed but not his age, any ideas what I should do next? thanks, can you tell Im new to all this? Rhona

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Aug 2007 20:50

Rhona, why don't you post what you know on here and we can probably help you. Recently, from his date and place of death we were able to figure out a soldier's whole life. You might just get lucky.

Rhona

Rhona Report 12 Aug 2007 22:05

okay, thanks for the tip. (no pun intended) Im looking for Andrew Hughes, 29/03/1919, mother Isabella Hughes 27/06/1891. He was in the Navy and my great aunt thinks he died during the end of the war or possibly just after. Isabella's parents were from Fife area and moved to Glasgow. hope someone can help? thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2007 22:19

I thought that this was the Andrew that Rhona had found:- Name: HUGHES, ANDREW Initials: A Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Seaman Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Patrol Service Unit Text: H.M. Trawler Refundo. Date of Death: 18/12/1940 Service No: LT/JX192150 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Cemetery: PITTENWEEM PARISH CHURCHYARD No age or next of kin is given on the certificate. Kath. x

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Aug 2007 22:27

Just to clarify you, regarding that CWGC reference, Andrew Hughes was born Thurs. May 18th 1916 so he can't be your Andrew. He was killed in action aboard HMT Refundo on Wed. Dec. 18th 1940. He is buried in the old church graveyard in Pittenweem.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Aug 2007 22:29

CWGC records only go up to 1947 so if he died after that date he won't be listed.

Janice

Janice Report 12 Aug 2007 22:44

Paul, Where did you get that date of birth from? There is an Isabella Hughes born in 1891 in Pittenweem, which fits in with the details Rhona gave. Can't look for Andrew's birth to see if this Isabella is his mother cos of the 100 year closure rule. Janice

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Aug 2007 22:55

I googled it. But 1940 was at the beginning of the war and the birth dates don't match up. This Andrew's parents were Alexander and Jane. His neice or nephew Sandy is researching him. If you're still convinced it's him look on: http://www.goldminetrainer(.)com/altree/hughes.htm and Sandy's e-mail is on: http://www.royal-naval-reserve(.)co(.)uk/guestbook.asp The Isabella Hughes you refer to Janice - if she was on the 1901 census she was 10 years old, so she would not yet have married - no point looking for a Hughes in 1901. If this does turn out to be the right Andrew, and I doubt it, the Refundo was a Trawler in the service of the Royal Navy which struck a mine off Harwich and sank whilst under tow. Andrew must have been killed in the initial explosion.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Aug 2007 23:29

I think we're barking up the wrong tree here, unless Auntie's got it completely wrong!

Janice

Janice Report 13 Aug 2007 10:21

Hi Paul, Thanks for that. Something I've missed here - you mention looking for a Hughes in 1901. Where has this date come from? Also, Rhona told me that Isabella wasn't married when Andrew was born, and she died when he was about 3. He was brought up by - I think - Isabella's parents. Janice

Rhona

Rhona Report 13 Aug 2007 13:49

folks, thanks for all this, I was amazed to see so many people all taking an interest. My Dad spoke to my great aunt last night and it now transpires that 'Andrew Hughes 29/03/1919' did not die in WW2 as she thought but some time after this. so rightly I think the Andrew killed in 1940 is a red herring so to speak. Andrew's mother Isabella died 6/1/22 and Andrew was brought up my my great grandparents, Isabella's brother David and his wife Mary. It seems so strange to me thata young newly married couple raising a child as their own would not know that he had died. My aunt says he was engaged to a Jenny Edwards but doesnt know if they married as she suspects Andrew died pre 1951, my aunts father (David Hughes) died in 1951 and she remembers her mother being upset that he hadnt known Andrew had died before he himself died if you see what I mean. Its like a brick wall tracing this guy......

Janice

Janice Report 13 Aug 2007 14:28

Hi Rhona, Are we still in Scotland? The only death of an Isabella Hughes in 1922 is this one: 1922 HUGHES ISABELLA F 29 PARTICK GLASGOW CITY/LANARK You can download the death cert from Scotlands People if you think it's the right one. janice