Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find info on new branch!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 11 Aug 2007 13:03

Please see below

Frances

Frances Report 11 Aug 2007 13:05

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone can advise me how to move forward with a new branch of my Tree, for which I have very little info. This is what I have:- Robert Young (b. Oct 1919, Ammanford, Carmarthenshire) Father: William Young (no d.o.b, probably Scottish) Mother: no info Siblings: Olwen, Iris, Margaret, Winston. The first two may have had a different mother as William was married at least twice. I have found 2 possible births for Robert in 1919, one shows mother’s maiden name Harries (Carmarthenshire), the other Davies (Merthyr Tydfell). I’ve trawled through the Birth Index from about 1912 – 1930 and can only find Robert (which I knew anyway!). I was hoping to match the mother’s maiden name with at least one of the others. I was hoping to find William Young on the 1901 Census but I’m having no luck. A family member told me where they lived when Robert was born in 1919, but I don’t know for sure if William was there in 1901. Here is the address: Pentwyn Farm, Heolddu, Ammanford, Carmarthen, S. Wales. Any ideas how I can move forwards? Is the only option to send off for the 2 birth certificates for Robert in order to find out his mother’s name? But how can I trace William, the name is too common! Any suggestions welcome!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Aug 2007 13:53

Did Robert marry? If so, the marriage cert would tell you the name and occupation of his father. However, as Robert wasn't born until 1919, his father may have been only a few years of age in 1901, in which case, knowing his occ would not help. If you are certain that Robert's father was named William, you could use that as a checking point when ordering the birth cert(s). Did Robert die after 1969? If so, his death cert should record his DOB, which may help you to decide which of the birth reg'ns is the more likely.......assuming the informant knew the correct DOB!! On second thoughts, I'm not sure why you are considering the Merthyr Tydfil entry.........that is in Glamorgan. The Llandilofawr entry shows a second initial (R), whcih should be on any subsequent GRO entries for this person...........and Llandilofawr is the CORRECT district for births etc in Ammanford. Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 11 Aug 2007 14:18

Hi Frances Found this marriage entry which looks very likely to be correct one: William E Young/Margaretta Harries 1917 O-D Llandilofawr 11a 21?3 (looks like 2153 but not certain of 3rd number). Maybe someone with better eyesight than me can take a look. Mary

Frances

Frances Report 11 Aug 2007 14:37

Thank you for your replies, Reggie & Mary! Yes, I will order the Llandilofawr birth cert for Robert - I thought this was probably the correct one - his middle initial was R. Mary - that's brilliant, I couldn't find a matching marriage myself. 1917 makes sense for Robert's birth and I knew William was married before. Logging off now until Monday, thanks again.