Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More problems with Stoats

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:04

I have the burial of Thomas Stoate age 57 on 24th October 1841 at Coombe Florey, but I cannot find his death registered anywhere. He was born in 1786. I have tried a variety of spellings of Stoate to no avail. Suggestions please Thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2007 21:10

Deaths Dec 1841 STOALE Thomas Taunton 10 313 Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 21:13

Not sure which records you looked at........... Name: Thomas Stoale Year of Registration: 1841 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Taunton (1837-1974) County: Devon, Somerset Volume: 10 Page: 313 Reg

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:13

Good research, but if he died in December it can't be him if he was buried in October, but thanks for your research. Regards Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 21:15

Dec qtr covers Oct Nov Dec!!!!! Remember what I said about putting in ONLY the forename????? Not very many Thomases died in Taunton district in 1841........... Reg

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:15

Thanks again Reg. you should hire your services out! Now I can send off for the certificate. Regards Linda

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:20

I tried typing in Thomas St because I thought there would be lots of Thomas's and I had no success.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2007 21:27

Linda, You have to use what is known as a wildcard or * So Thomas St* Rose

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:31

Reg did you look at Complete BMD or Free BMD? I have tried to back track to see where I went wrong. Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 21:32

You have to input three letters before the asterisk to do a wild card search on Ancestry. Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 21:34

The freebmd records on Ancestry........... Just put in Thomas for the name............1841 for the year.......and Taunton for the district. The same procedure will work on the freebmd website Reg

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2007 21:35

If you look at the image it says Stoate. Rose

Linda

Linda Report 10 Aug 2007 21:37

Didn't know about using the asterisk. Today I have learnt something useful. This week I drove 260 miles to Somerset Record Office and came back the following day without getting any further and two minutes on here and it is solved!