Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Byrne coat of arms?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 10 Aug 2007 20:05

can any one help with this question, I read that my surname Byrne has two coat of arms both are very similar but from different parts of Ireland. does any one know why this is and how you know which is yours?? Si

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 20:27

Try googling the College of Heralds.......they would deal with such matters. Reg

Denis

Denis Report 10 Aug 2007 20:27

Hi Just because there is a family called Byrne who have Arms it does not mean that it is yours I'm afraid. You would need to find out whether your own family have ever had a grant of arms or whatever the technical phrase is. Sorry to be so boring! Denis

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Aug 2007 20:29

Sorry to pour cold water but there is no such thing as a ''family name'' coat of arms. Arms were granted to individual persons, not family names,so it is possible that there are many different arms for a particular name.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Aug 2007 09:53

The last two speakers are quite correct. You will realise you have a right to bear arms because the arms will be in your family 'vault' and will never be forgotten. All those people who buy wooden plaques on boats and souvenir shops bearing a name the same as yours are being totally ripped off! Maybe nice to have but please treat them the same way you may buy a thimble or a teapot! If you have ever been to any of the fascinating talks on 'Heraldry' you will realise that each part of the Coat of Arms relates to a particular person or persons within the very close family. Marriages are portrayed by the different symbols that are shown. As Reggie says just google 'Coats of Arms' and ' Heraldry' to find out more. Byrne is a very common name all over Ireland! I have seen them personally in Tipperary, Limerick, Cork, Wexford, Kerry, Kilkenny and Dublin. Have a look at the Griffiths Index to see where they all are. Janet