Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~*kazza*~

~*kazza*~ Report 10 Aug 2007 15:30

I have found a few peeps on ancestry. If I have a birth death or marriage of someone, to get more info other than whats on the site ie. name q district and ref number. I'd like to know if I went to a records office with the ref number would there be more info or would I have to buy the cert anyway. Do I have to go to spacific offices or to a general one. I want info like mothers maiden name, maiden names or cause of death. Exact DOB or Exact DOD rather than Q. Or even better is there somewhere on-line to get this info. Hope this makes sense. Kaz

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 15:37

Sorry, but in England & Wales, you cannot view certs without buying them. They cost £7.00 each from the GRO.........don't ever be tempted to go anywhere else on line, as you will get ripped-off. You can order certs from the appropriate Register Offices ( providing they will supply certs for genealogy purposes), but the GRO refs do not apply if you choose to go down that route. You can see parish entries for the various events at Records Offices, but the snag is that you need to know which church to look for.........and they will have burial info, not death details. I don't know how near you are to a Records Office, but when choosing which procedure to adopt, take into account the cost of travel, car parking, etc, etc............. Reg

~*kazza*~

~*kazza*~ Report 10 Aug 2007 15:45

Thanks Reg. I do have a few certs already and have been lucky as they are all the correct ones. And all from GRO. I was thinking of visiting the LIverpool records office as I have a bit of spare time, but i'm not sure what I would be looking for or even if I would find anything different to what I already have. Kaz

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 15:47

It rather depends on what you have already......and the time-scale in which you plan to search....... Reg

Janice

Janice Report 10 Aug 2007 16:17

Hi Kaz, If you look at the census images you have, it will tell you which parish they were in, which will help you find the right church in the parish records. janice