Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am i being ripped off?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 9 Aug 2007 23:30

Or am i missing something?? I did a search on the birth records for a particuar name and year and 4 records came up. I assumed this meant that each record had a matching name and duly used credits to view them. None of them had a matching name. Does this site just offer you the 4 quarters records for that year with the matching surname? The person i wanted was not on the records- no-one of that first name was on them. Why let you input a first name for the search if it makes no difference? Shouldnt there be something to state that the records you pay to view are only matching the surname and year? I realise they are relatively cheap to view- but not when you're doing as much research as i plan to. I would preferred to have been aware that i was 'taking a chance' rather than feeling what i wanted would be on one of those 4 records. Perhaps im just being narky!! ( or missing some disclaimer on the site) Nic x

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 9 Aug 2007 23:35

I don't use credits on here,It's a rip off. what are you looking for? am sure someone on here will be able to find the info you want

Nicola

Nicola Report 9 Aug 2007 23:40

I had credits left from when i first joined ( i have since joined ancestry) so i thought id use them up. When searching births/deaths etc on here it is MANDATORY to enter a first name for the search-however- it makes no difference to the search results- absolute rip off. Thanks for the offer of help with look-ups though, its appreciated!!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 23:43

Sorry to hear that Nic. I don't know how they work but I have seen posts to say they are a pricey way of searching. I am here for a little while longer, - Can I be of help searching on Ancestry, UK.? Gwyn

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 10 Aug 2007 01:27

I think the first name is entered for the purpose of workong out the initial. Say you have two pages one is Robinson - Robson and Robson to Royal if you're searching for a J Robson, you would have to look in both to see if one is listed. So... they narrow it down by adding initials say page one runs from S Robinson to E Robson, and page two runs from F Robson. The computer brings up the second page as containing the range you need for where the surname should fall. As with findmypast (or how it used to be) it only brings up the quarters in that range. It doesn't have anyway of checking to see if there is that first name or even surname listed. Say you're looking for Robison. And it brings up Robinson-Robson there's still no guarantee that there is even a Robison listed as each individual name isn't indexed. So basically...yes it's a rip off lol.

Lynette

Lynette Report 10 Aug 2007 02:14

Always ask for help before feeding more money into these greedy sites as i'm sure people like myself will help with NO CHARGE. Regards Lyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 10:54

ALL bmd records are listed alphabetically, and there are numerous entries on each page. If the records have not been transcribed (in which case they would be on freebmd) you have to search each page for the particular entry you are seeking. The same criterion applies on Ancestry.........or on findmypast. If you stop to think about how many millions of records there are, you will realise that finding any specific one simply isn't feasible. Having said that, I would always advise against using any of the links on GR..........that's all they are, by the way; links to existing sites. GR does not produce ANY info whatsoever. As you have now joined Ancestry, I'm sure you will realise exactly how the system works, and understand that you have to be prepared to put some time and effort into searching. Happy hunting.......... Reg

Nicola

Nicola Report 10 Aug 2007 12:45

Reg- i understand entirely what you are saying-However- genesreunited should state that there are no guarantees that your 'person' is on the files you pay to see. I bet there are loads of people pumping money into viewing those records on here- believing that genes provide matching records. I will not be the only one who has been dissapointed. As for time and effort- of course- i fully agree this is the main ingrediant for success. I did loads of research before i even joined here- went as far back as possible through buying marriage/birth certs/speaking to relatives etc. In return for the lovely help from people on here i have also invested time and effort for other people too. Thats the beauty of the message board. i dont expect it all to 'fall in my lap'- but i expect clarity and honesty from genes when paying to view records. Please dont think im being narky at you Reg- thats not the case- im just fuming that there are lots of trusting folk giving money to genes and they cant even be bothered to state- ' searching these records for your ancesters will produce records that match the surname of your relative- but only the first initial- the person you are searching for is not guaranteed to be on these records- please be aware of this before purchasing credits' Nic x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Aug 2007 15:54

Perhaps you would care to direct these comments at the people who run GR.........they are the only ones who can alter the way the site is set up. I would have thought that most people realised that the info they were accessing was indexed, but I suppose there always a few who are unaware of the system. Good luck with any approach you make to GR. Reg

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Aug 2007 16:03

Its the same system on 'find my past' site . they only search alphabetically so your query could be in the range . doesnt mean they are tho. I wasted loads of units on that site trying to find info. By far ,the Ancestry site is the best value cos once you have paid your subs you have unlimited access to search

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Aug 2007 06:27

It could be said of all sites of this nature that there is never any guarantee that you will find what you are looking for. It is not a rip off, more a fact of life. Subscriptions plans which allow for unlimited searches avoid the disappointment faced by pay per view members turning up blanks, but then not everyone can afford the subscription.

Heather

Heather Report 11 Aug 2007 09:09

Nicola, dont buy credits on here - spend the money on an ancestry sub. What were you looking for anyway?

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 11 Aug 2007 11:54

Nicola, please just ask if you want any help with look ups. I subscribe to ascenstry, as do lots of people on here now. Most people will do looks ups if you give them enough information. In the meantime, save up your pennies for a yearly subscription to ancestry or a similar site! Well worth the money.