Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF Photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 9 Aug 2007 22:05

I've recently come across a lot of photos of a man who was in the RAF and served in Cairo. The photos are mainly of him and his brigade called Unit 4. Some of them are formal photos but most are of them sight seeing (infront of the Mohammed Ali Mosque for example). Some are from the air. The remaining relatives have asked me to bin them as they dont want them but I cant help thinking that it would be a real shame to get rid of them and someone should keep them for historical purposes. Any ideas where I should go from here? I've emailed the RAF Museum but they dont seem to be interested as I've not received a reply. Thanks Amy

Wendy Woo

Wendy Woo Report 9 Aug 2007 22:09

WOW, any RAF museum, there is one in Manston in Kent, they are a volunteer and charity run, there is also a spitfire museum there I am sure they would love them, and if not I am sure they would knwo someone who does. be a shame to lose them to the bin, also have you tried the imperial war museum?? wendy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Aug 2007 22:10

I can't understand why the RAF museum wouldn't be interested but if they are not, why not put them on ebay. At least that way you would know that only someone with an interest in these photos would bid on them. Do you know the name of the man in the photos? If so you could do a quick search on this site to see if anyone has him in their tree. Kath. x

Amy

Amy Report 9 Aug 2007 22:14

I do know his name. There is a certificate with the photos for 20 years of active service. I have the photos through work though so I cant reveal his name because of confidentiality. I just think its a crying shame that his relatives want to bin a lifetime of photos. I would love to get my hands on some photos like that of my lot!

Amy

Amy Report 9 Aug 2007 22:18

Thanks Kate that would be great. The back of the photos only says Unit 4. He lived in Hampshire all his life so I am guessing that it was Unit 4 of some kind of brigade or something in Hampshire but I dont have any more details. I'm determined to get to the bottom of it, there is no way they are going in the bin!

kate 66

kate 66 Report 9 Aug 2007 22:23

Hi What abt the sqdn he was with if it is still around or the RAF News maybe able to advice you, you'll findyou may have to ask your newsagent to order one. I can ask my dad 2morrow as he was in the RAF on where to go . it's hard to think that people would not want photos like that happy hunting Kate

kate 66

kate 66 Report 9 Aug 2007 22:26

Hi again Do you know what year these may have been taken? Hubby says your RAFA Club or even the RAF benevolent fund com. maybe able to help You could even try Friends reunited has they have a service section. Kate