Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did he die in Scotland?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 09:40

Please will someone point me in the right direction to find when and where someone died.?.... He was known to be alive in 1930, when he was living in South Africa skippering a mailboat between Capetown and Port Elizabeth. .... His wife and children joined him but didn't settle and returned to Scotland, - Aberdeen area. We have written to a researcher in South Africa who could find no record of his death there.....We are looking for William McKenzie NEWLANDS b. Elgin,Scotland in 1890.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 21:54

Anyone?

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 9 Aug 2007 22:40

Hi Gwyneth, Scotlands People deaths only go up to 1956, for a death after that date you would have to contact GRO on; http://www(.)gro-scotland(.)gov(.)uk/ I did a quick check on SP and found a death of a William Newlands b1890 +/- 1 year died aged 66 years in 1955. Unfortunately you cannot key in his middle name, so I have no idea if this could be your man. Maybe if someone has some credits with SP, mine have expired, they could look it up for you. bye Helen

Hollyd

Hollyd Report 9 Aug 2007 23:10

Hi Gweneth, The William Newlands Helen found middle name is Stewart so am afraid it's not the same one and he's the only one that fits in the timescale - sorry. Regards Patricia

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Aug 2007 00:34

Helen and Patricia Thank you so much for looking for William. I am fairly sure that I have his name right...the Scottish custom of him carrying his mother's maiden name as his middle name. I appreciate you trying to find him. 2 of his daughters are still alive but don't know what became of him. It would be nice to be able to tell them. Gwyn