Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 - Lost relative

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 09:35

I can't find William Hird in the 1881 Census. I have him on the 1861/1871/1891/1901 but where is he in 1881. Born abt 1857 in Bridlington. Still in Bridlington in 1871 in 1889 he was in Hull and married. I have his family still in Bridlington in 1881 but he is missing from the family in that census. Where has he gone?? Thank you Pat

Jane

Jane Report 9 Aug 2007 09:43

Pat, Dunno why you couldn't see him in 1881 - but he's clearly there on FamilySearch ... married to Lucy E HIRD aged 28. They're living at 5 St Johns Walk, Bridlington, York. He's a joiner (unemployed). Regs Annie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 09:44

Is this him? Name: William Hird Age: 24 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Lucy E. Gender: Male Where born: Bridlington, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Bridlington County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: 5 St Johns Walk Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View Image Occupation: Joiner (Unemployed) Registration district: Bridlington Sub-registration district: Bridlington ED, institution, or vessel: 6b Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Lucy E. Hird 28 William Hird 24 Gwyn

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 10:17

Thank you Annie and Gwenneth but I saw the one you are referring to and its not the one. Unless he married twice because he was definitely already married to Jane Elizabeth Boswell in 1889 when they had a son William Berriman Hird who was born in Hull. This family were living in Beech Avenue in the 1901 Census?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 10:23

Lucy might have died before he remarried.. From freebmd -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Mar 1887 ( >>>BOSWELL Jane Elizabeth Bridlington 9d 447 Chew Sarah Jane Bridlington 9d 447 >>>Hird William Bridlington 9d 447 Pawson Frederick William Bridlington 9d 447 Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 10:26

Possible 1st marriage....on freebmd Marriages Dec 1879 GUTHERLESS Lucy Eliza Bridlington 9d 560 Hird William Bridlington 9d 560 Gwyn

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 10:34

Thank you so much Gwyn. The info is v helpful, I'll get the MC. Had a look to see if Lucy died between 1881 and 1889 and couldnt find her but poss didn't cover wide enough date span. Will have another look. Still dont know where he was in 1881 though when the Census was taken???? Except Jane Boswell was a gypsy and in 1881 she was in Roche, Cornwall (I think) living with ......Boswell (head) and .....................(nephew)? All fascinating stuff isn't it. Just can't let this one go. Thank you Pat

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 10:44

Is he not the joiner living with Lucy..? Sorry I don't understand. Do you have Ancestry? If not I will check the reference numbers for you as the ones I posted are from Freebmd and just sometimes there are mistranscriptions. Gwyn

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 11:02

Hi Gwen Thank you so much for your patience. I'm getting a little confused myself now. Yes he could have been married to Lucy in 1881 in Brid, I suppose but then if he married Jane E Boswell in 1887 that means Lucy was off the scene by then, so either died or left by William. I can't find that she died. Could I be researching the wrong William born in Bridlington??? Oh no, so many hours looking down the drain. I need his MC don't I? Yes, I am with Ancestry but I get confused with that sometimes - its a 'senior moment' thing I think. Back to the drawing board do you think? Pat

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 11:19

Right ...let's sort out these Williams....I've got loads too ! Is the William who married Jane Elizabeth the one you want to follow because you have a link to him? If it is, I would check the reference on Ancestry ( do you want help?) then order that marriage certificate. It should say whether or not he was a widower , ...although I know some of mine weren't strictly truthful and said ..bachelor.. meaning they were free to marry.....Not alot of help if you are trying to determine whether it was the same person as in an earlier marriage. The marriage certificate should show his father too, so hopefully we could track back on your William in census. Gwyn

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 11:34

William Hird was my Gt/Gfather. I have my Gfathers BC - William Berriman Hird born Apr.1889 in Hull - his father was William Hird (Gt/Gfather) and mother Jane Elizabeth Hird (Boswell) In the 1901 Census I have located the family, mother and father born in Bridlington, RG13/4505 Pg 8. In the 1891 again I have the family in Hull RG12/3944 p25. In the 1871 Census I thought I had located the family of Gt/Gfather in Bridlington RG10/4811 P32 In the 1861 same family as 1871 - RG9/3612. Now I'm not sure I'm following the correct family for my Gt/Gfather because of the confusion in 1881 and the Lucy marriage, of course. I guess I must send for details of the MC you have given me re his marriage to Jane E Boswell in 1887 to clarify? Is that so? Pat

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Aug 2007 12:16

Yes. I would order the marriage certificate of William to Jane as you know they are 'yours'. The Ancestry site shows the same reference numbers...I just checked. You can then work back from there. Hopefully the information you already have for earlier census will still hold. I couldn't see a reference for Lucy's death between the dates but see what the MC to Jane says first...then worry about Lucy later. It is possible that she was known by another name and registered that....happened to one of mine. Alternatively her death could have been missed off the copy going from local records up to GRO. Gwyn

Pat

Pat Report 9 Aug 2007 12:31

I really do appreciate how much time you have spent with me on this Gwyn and believe me you have helped clear my head a little and pointed me in the right direction. I agree, I am going to order MC today. The Lucy person baffles me a little but hopefully the MC will clear things. I do know that Jane was from a Gypsy family (or Romany as my mum would have said) but don't think William was. I have found 2 William's born in Brid. One in 1860 and one in 1856 - just to confuse matters. But they seem to become one throughout the Census. His dad was called Brown Hird. How's that for a christian name!! He called 1 of his sons Brown too! You've made me feel much better, Gwyn - bless you Pat

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 9 Aug 2007 19:49

In 1901 Lucy E Hird is living with husband William, a carpenter, in Bridlington. So you can ignore her. Her William should have been born in Bridlington about 1856 - yours should be the later born one.