Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What will I find?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 8 Aug 2007 16:36

Am going to local register office to look at pre- 1837 records- how much information will I get from them

Pete

Pete Report 8 Aug 2007 16:41

Do you mean that you are going to your archive to look at parish records? These are not usually held at the Register Office. They simply have the local records of the post 1837 BMD's

Heather

Heather Report 8 Aug 2007 16:44

You do mean your records office, dont you. Well the pre 1837 stuff will probably be on fiche or film which you will have endless fun trying to fit to a machine - lol. Take a pencil, a notebook, glasses if you wear them. The staff are usually very willing to help, particular if you are new to searching. The parish records will give baptisms, marriages and burials but what you will find really depends on the vicar or clerks enthusiasm. You may just get the names of the bride and groom and nothing else or you may, like I have in a some Norfolk ones, get the bride, groom, witnesses, fathers, the grooms job and addy. Ditto burials and baptisms - Baps usually have dads name, mums first name and if you are lucky mums maiden name. Burials may give the name of parents or spouse and area of domicile if they lived out of the parish. Good luck. Go well prepared with what you want to look up or you will faff around and waste time.

Kerry

Kerry Report 8 Aug 2007 16:47

I have done a search & found that they do hold the historical parish records. I have also being told that for some Yorkshire records the are held at Northallerton (I went to the church & was told this there)

Kerry

Kerry Report 8 Aug 2007 16:49

Thanks Heather- I have codes already prepared for the parish I am after. Have never used micro-fiche- so sounds like I am going to be boggle eyed !!

Pete

Pete Report 8 Aug 2007 16:55

Remember to take a notebook and pencil (often pens are forebidden.) Take a digital camera if you have one. You may be able to photograph parish records rather than buying prints of the microfilmed images. Take some identification and some change for photocopiers, coffee machine etc. As weel as baptisms, marriages and burials there may be marriage banns. Don't forget to ask if they have an index of wills too. Trade directories and old newspapers may also be useful.