Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Discharge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 8 Aug 2007 16:00

Hi All, Have found by accident discharge papers for my grandad from WW1, wondered if anybdy understood the abbrevations on the form it says; Discharged for no longer physcially fit for war service: and in the next coloum 39(xv1) KR. KR, I assume to mean Kings Regulations, but anybody any ideas what the other means. Thanks Frank

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Aug 2007 16:09

Have a look at this page:- http://www.1914-1918.net/discharged.htm It gives reasons for being discharged. It seems that (xvi) is just the reference for being no longer physically fit for service. Kath. x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Aug 2007 16:11

The numbers refer to the paragraph of Kings Regulations. 392 xvi refers to 'A soldier found medically unfit by a Military Medical board, for further service'

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 8 Aug 2007 16:28

If he was discharged unfit he may have recieved a pension and if he did his records will be on ancestry. It has all the details including medical records giving details of why he was discharged You need to have some dtails ie:- date of birth, place of birth and name. Army number would help Kathy

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 8 Aug 2007 16:49

Thanks ,Kathleen,Ann and Kathleen, Did find his records on Ancestry because I can not find him on the 1901 census thought he may be in army, well he was just not when I was expecting, he was only in 10 months, he was 32 on enlistment and 32 years 10 months on discharge. Can not find medal card for him though, proably would not have qualified. Thanks Frank

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2007 16:58

in th army every thing comes under wat is known as the Kings Regulation, so 39(xv1) KR. KR is the paragraph in the Kings regs that he was discharges under, xvi is 'no longer physically fit for service (it is a medical discharge) Roy

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Aug 2007 19:46

Frank If your ancestor didn't serve overseas he wouldn't have qualified for a medal. If his discharge had been a result of wounds or sickness directly attributable to his service, he would have earned a Silver War Badge and this was recorded on the medal cards. The absence of a medal card would indicate that his discharge was deemed to be unattributable hence no medal card. Andrew

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 9 Aug 2007 19:42

Thanks Porkie Pie and Andrew, Having come across his records by accident did not realise to click green arrow at top of page to move record on. Now know although he only served for 10 months, 3 of them were spent in France. Now down loaded everthing,facinating as none of my brothers have any history our grandfather. Thanks for your everyones Help Frank