Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My dilemma!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 8 Aug 2007 13:00

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 8 Aug 2007 13:01

Maria Silver married Thomas Spain (widow) in Northbourne Kent 8 Oct 1829. I have found this family of Spains on the 1841 census and Maria was born approx 1796-7 On Maria’s marriage licence her witnesses were William Silver and Mary Allen Silver. I checked IGI and found Maria born to Joseph Silver & Mary. I then did a check on marriage and a Joseph married Mary Allen about 9 Jul 1774. Maria had a brother William. My problem is that when I check the census for 1841 I find the family with Mary Allen Silver but the Mother is down as Ann from Walmer, Kent and her father is William. At first I thought that Joseph had remarried to Ann but then Anns husband was William. So would you agree that my Maria and Mary Allen could be cousins. What worries me is that Thomas & Maria never named any sons Joseph? (Thomas & Marias children are William,Mary,John,Susanna,Thomas.) What do you think? Thanks for looking Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 13:04

I didn't think 1841 census carried birthplace info...........or relationships.......... Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 13:10

I'm not sure what you've already got.........but this is 1851 for the family described above Name: Maria Spain Age: 54 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1797 Relation: Wife Spouse's Name: Thomas Gender: Female Where born: Eastry, Kent, England Civil Parish: Folkestone County/Island: Kent Country: England Registration district: Elham Sub-registration district: Folkestone ED, institution, or vessel: 2g Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 13 Household Members: Name Age George Brown 37 Frederick Collins 34 Alfred Slade 22 John Spain 15 Maria Spain 54 Susannah Spain 12 Thomas Spain 69 Thomas Spain 10 The three unrelated males are all 'lodgers' Reg

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 8 Aug 2007 14:06

Thanks Reg Yes I they are the right family on the 1851. Do you think I have the right parents for Maria? Sorry I traced Ann Silver on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census which is why I have her as Mother. Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 16:08

Not sure whether this helps...........from the IGI Silver, British Isles Father: Joseph , Mother: Mary Exact Spelling: Off Batch Number: C042292 1. Jane Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 23 OCT 1782 Eastry, Kent, England 2. Sarah Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 25 SEP 1774 Eastry, Kent, England 3. Susanna Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 27 MAR 1785 Eastry, Kent, England 4. Maria Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 09 OCT 1796 Eastry, Kent, England 5. William Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 15 NOV 1787 Eastry, Kent, England 6. Joseph Silver - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 23 JAN 1791 Eastry, Kent, England Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 16:12

I may not be picking up your question correctly, but I would imagine that the marriage witnesses were Maria's mother and brother.......... I can't see a Mary Allen Silver in 1841.....what am I missing? These are the Spains in 1841........... Name: Susanna Spain Age: 3 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838 Gender: Female Where born: Kent, England Civil Parish: Newington Hundred: Folkestone County/Island: Kent Country: England Registration district: Elham Sub-registration district: Hythe Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age John Spain 5 Maria Spain 45 Mary Spain 8 Susanna Spain 3 Thomas Spain 55 Thomas Spain 3 Mo William Spain 10 Reg

Judith

Judith Report 8 Aug 2007 16:28

Is this the 1841 family you have: William Silver 50 grocer and draper Ann 55 Mary 30 Tailoress S____? 25 Hannah 15 Charlotte 13 William's age, rounded down to 50, makes it likely he was Maria's brother baptised 1787 I take it you think this Mary is the Mary Allen Silver who was a witness? If so, though of course there is no knowing for sure the relationships of this group, Mary was probably Maria Spain's neice and Ann was Maria's sister in law If Maria's mother married in 1774 she is unlikely still to have been alive in 1841 I would have thought.

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 8 Aug 2007 17:58

Thanks Reg I dont think I made my self clear but Judith I think you have managed to put it all in prospective for me. William being Maria's brother makes sense and Ann her sister-in-law. Of course her mother would probably not have been alive in 1841!! And Reg that is what I first thought when I reread the license that it was her Mother & Brother that were witnesses. But then I got all confused (which dont take much these days) when I tried to put William & Ann into the equation and wrongly decided she was Maria's Mother. Thanks to you both, sometimes you need another persons input to get back on track and see something that is staring you in the face. Thanks again Chris