Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does HFand HS mean in the Scottish Census ple

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 8 Aug 2007 05:26

Hi: I was on the 1901 Scottish census on Ancestry and some of the people listed are showing HF for Relationship. Could someone tell me what it means. I am pretty sure they are related to the family I was looking up. Also it was showing Jane and Janet as the parents and I know that is wrong. Has anyone come across this before? Thanks for your help. Regrds Shiela

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 8 Aug 2007 06:17

Hi Sheila, Sorry can't help with Ancestry as I don't have it but I think you need to post all the details of the family in the 1901 census that you have. Also you don't mention where in Scotland it is!! Betty

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 09:22

I would suggest H F means Head of Family.........would the person(s) concerned fit that description? Where family groups were in lodging houses, or similar establishments, they had to be identified separately, as the head of each family was not actually the Head of the Household.........that would be the lodging-house keeper. As for Jane & Janet..........mistranscription of some sort, no doubt. If you care to post details, a check can be made Reg

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 8 Aug 2007 13:26

Thanks for your replys. I think there may be at least 3 families showing up in the house. The head of the family that I am interested in is showing up next door. I put Euphemia Hogg in the 1901 census and it came up with 18 people in the house. She was born abt 1878 in Gladsmuir, Haddington. If you look at 'click to see other people on page' you will see her father William Hogg on Pg.2, I believe. The name Fairgrieve is shown and I know that they are also relatives. I think you are right in saying HF stands for 'head of family', it makes sense. Thanks again. Shiela

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 22:17

I can't see Euphemia Hogg born c1878 in 1901 census.......... This is the family in 1881 Name: Euphemia Hogg Age: 3 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878 Relationship: Daughter Father's Name: William Mother's Name: Janet Gender: Female Where born: Gladsmuir, Haddington Registration Number: 691 Registration district: Lasswade Civil Parish: Lasswade County: Midlothian Address: 8 Loan ED: 6 Page: 17 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 64 Line: 6 Roll: cssct1881_296 Household Members: Name Age Euphemia Hogg 3 Isabella Hogg 5 Janet Hogg 29 Robert Hogg 2 Mos Walter Hogg 6 William Hogg 30 George Young 22 You haven't elaborated on your query about Jane/Janet. Have you changed your mind about needing the info? Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2007 22:23

OK......I've found it.......you refer to 1891!!!!!!! William Hogg is Head of Family.......... The children are: Catherine Hogg 2 Euphemia Hogg 13 Isabella Hogg 15 Jane Hogg 8mo John Hogg 8 Robert Hogg 10 Walter Hogg 16 William Hogg 5 I would suggest that, somehow, the surname of the mother (Janet) has been transcribed as 'Young'. Unfortunately, with no image available, there is no way I, or anyone else, can be certain. Reg

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 9 Aug 2007 00:15

Hi Everyone: So very sorry I had 1901 as the Census but it is 1891. According to a cousin, William Hogg did marry a Janet Young, so the parent is Janet, and William is the father. The 1881 Census is correct. I noticed that on one of the relationships (not mine) it shows HS --- does anyone know what that means. Thanks very much for all your help. Shiela

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 9 Aug 2007 13:24

Thanks Doreen, you may be right. Since they had so many mistakes on other things it could be that it was supposed to be HF. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help. Regards Shiela