Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search tips for 1891 census - Am I missing somethi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 14:09

I am desperately trying to find my GGrandad on the 1891 census but no luck. He would have been just 3yrs old and not living with his parents or any family that I know of. Every search I have done so far has drawn a blank. So the question I am asking myself was could he have been in hospital or somewhere I haven't thought of yet??? Any tips for searching for someone lost in 1891 please???

David

David Report 6 Aug 2007 14:14

Hello Dawn, Can you let us have a name, and possibly a district we're looking at please?

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 14:23

Hi David His name was George Henry Grayson born in 1888 in York. He lived there all his life and died in York and I am not aware of him ever living anywhere else. I have found him in 1901 living in York with his Aunt, but nothing for 1891. Have tried looking with other rellies and different spelling but it is driving me mad now. In 1891 I have his mother Sarah, father John and brother and sister but no George. He was only 3 so where could he be?? Thanks Dawn

Heather

Heather Report 6 Aug 2007 14:43

For ref - is the right one in 1901? There are so many with same name! Name: George H Grayson Age: 12 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889 Relation: Nephew Gender: Male Where born: Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: York Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour Town: York County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 12 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 101 Household Members: Name Age Agnes N Butler 8 Fredk Debnam 69 George H Grayson 12 Elizabeth Neal 45 Frederick Neal 48

Jo

Jo Report 6 Aug 2007 14:45

I've had a look and found another George H Grayson in Sheffield in 1891 - guess its another family. Do you know what happened to his parents and siblings by 1901? Have you got his birth certificate to match his parents and his birth address? Jo

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 14:51

Hi Heather, Yes that is him in 1901 living with his Aunt, Uncle and Grandfather. Thanks Dawn

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 14:56

Hi Jo, Yes its def another family in Sheffield, I found them too. I have checked out the address on his birth cert in 1891 and there is a different family living there. He was born at 14 Garden Place and in 1901 was living at 28, but not on that street in 1891. His father died in 1891 (soon after the census) and his mother remarried to their lodger, George Thompson, the next year. I have found his sister Mary Ann in 1901 but not his brother, mother or stepdad. Her married name was Sarah Thompson. I know she stayed in York until she died in the 1940's. Thanks Dawn

Jo

Jo Report 6 Aug 2007 15:15

There's a George (Grandson aged 2) living in Walmgate with Elizabeth Bailey - may have ommitted to inform of his surname? Long shot, I know but this happend to my grandad. Jo

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 19:30

Thanks for that Jo. I'm not aware of any Bailey connection to our family but I will look into it. Walmgate isn't too far from the rest of the family so it may be possible. Thanks for looking for me Dawn

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Aug 2007 20:26

After checking with our records I don't believe that this George is the one I am looking for, so i'll keep on trying. Thanks anyway Dawn

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 7 Aug 2007 09:28

If George was away visiting on census night then his parents, quite correctly) should not have included him in their household. If the person he was visiting did not include him - because they didn't understand who was to be listed or got confused over the date George had been visiting or just forgot him etc - then George will not be on the census. I have read that 1%-2% are missing from each census.

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Aug 2007 02:26

Is this the family in 1891 (minus George it would seem)? Name: John Fredk Grayson Age: 4 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887 Relation: Son Father's Name: John Mother's Name: Sarah Gender: Male Where born: York, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: St Sampson Ecclesiastical parish: St Sampson Town: York County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: 19 Surningale?? Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Bootham ED, institution, or vessel: 20 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age John Grayson 38 (waterman - barge) John Fredk Grayson 4 Mary Ann Grayson 6 Sarah Grayson 34 George Thompson 30 (Commiseur (?) Agent) I'm thinking he was missed or badly transcribed while visiting someone else.

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Aug 2007 02:38

The Aunt in 1891: Name: Elizabeth Neal Age: 36 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855 Relation: Wife Spouse's Name: Friederick Gender: Female Where born: York, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: St Saviour Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour Town: York County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: 31 Garden Place!! Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 11 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Neal 36 Emma Neal 19 Friederick Neal 40 At number 14 is a family called Nichollson Oddly enough... scanning back through the original images, there appears to be another 31 Garden Place, no second 14 (even though there's 13 & 15) Checked all the originals from St.Sampson - District 20 & St.Saviours - District 11, thinking he might have been with friends/family in the area, & no sign of him there (or any other Graysons). --- In 1891 Fredrick Debnam is in Garden Place also (in case it's of interest or just for elemination): Name: Fredrick Debnam Age: 69 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Ana Gender: Male Where born: York, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: St Saviour Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviour Town: York County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: 28 Garden Place Occupation: Labourer Railway Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 11 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ana Debnam 60 (York also) Fredrick Debnam 69 --- Georges birth I presume: Name: George Henry Grayson Year of Registration: 1888 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: York County: Yorkshire - East Riding, Yorkshire - North Riding, North Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding Volume: 9d Page: 43

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Aug 2007 03:35

I've drawn a blank after an hour and half or so of searching and having tried every trick I can think of. Looked under George and Henry, tried wildcards & mistranscriptions for Grayson without first names using year of birth as ref. He's also not in clifton - District York Workhouse. There's just no George Grayson born in York (of any age). I'm beat. Hope someone else comes along and plucks him out of thin air, but I can't see how I'd have missed him. I would assume he's not there for whatever reason. Good Luck, Liz (who's now off to bed lol)

Dawn

Dawn Report 8 Aug 2007 10:05

Thanks so much for looking for me Liz, It's beat me too!! I guess I am going to have to accept that i'll probably never know the answer to that puzzle. I guess that where he was in 1891 is not that important. I know how the story panned out and how it had a happy ending, but it would have been great to fill in the gaps. I will keep looking though!! Dawn