Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jay

Jay Report 2 Aug 2007 15:53

Hi, I`m going round in circles. Is there any computer buff out there who can help me out please? I can receive mail OK but I can`t send mail out. I`m using Outlook Express - my ISP is Tiscali. I`ve been in touch with Customer Support in India, but the problem remains. I`ve deleted my outbox, compacted everything in Outlook, and stopped my email scanner. I seem to be able to send a basic test message, but anything longer than that is proving impossible. I get varying messages such as `do not have a valid account specified`. or ` was terminated unexpectedly by the server` etc and occasionally `timeout`. Jay.(desperate).

blueberry

blueberry Report 2 Aug 2007 16:35

Jay, Have you been in touch with Outlook Express, it's worth a try if you don't get any results change your ISP to an English based one. Barbara.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 2 Aug 2007 16:36

Hmmmm - sounds more like the problem is with Tiscali - they had problems a while back with scammers and although they say it's sorted I've had problems since then too. Best thing to do is open a Google email account and send from there. Mary

Jay

Jay Report 2 Aug 2007 16:44

Thanks Barbara and Mary. As I can`t email Tiscali or any one else either it just makes everything doubly difficult. Tiscali (India) deny that there`s problems but on the Tiscali website it says that there`s `outage` problems somewhere (Cramlington?). Whatever `outage` is. Anyone recommend a decent ISP please? Jay.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 2 Aug 2007 16:58

Hi Jay Maybe it's not Tiscali afterall - I've sent and received messages between my google and tiscali accounts fine. How long have you had the problem and have you recently downloaded any MS updates? If you haven't try doing that first. Mary

Jay

Jay Report 2 Aug 2007 17:19

. MS is updated. I`ve tried another mail account beginning with Yand ending in oo which this site keeps deleting from this message. All these accounts seem to have to go through Tiscali though.?. I can send messages to myself on Outlook from my Tiscali mail account. and others. Jay.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Aug 2007 17:31

You do not have to use the email that is supplied by your ISP. You can choose from the like of Y A H O O, G O O G L E, H O T M A I L, etc. and link any or all of them into OE. All these just connect through their own web address - it is not dependent on which ISP you use.

Ron

Ron Report 2 Aug 2007 17:49

It looks like a Tiscali problem, most ISP's have mail servers dotted all over the country so if there is a problem on one server the rest are not affected so asking anybody else if there is a problem with Tiscali is really a waste of time for that very reason, the only time they will answer yes is if their mail is routed through the same geographically located mail server. Ron www.genealogyprinters*com

Jay

Jay Report 2 Aug 2007 18:04

Thanks guys. I`ll try another mail acount. Fingers crossed. Jay.

John

John Report 9 Aug 2007 15:15

Your Tiscali account...maybe you are trying to send too much at a time. I use NTL (Virgin) broadband , excellent but if I try sending attachments of a few A4 sheets it throws a wobbly. Servers can get very busy and cut you off for the slightest reason.