Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doubting my link now !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 19 Aug 2007 21:23

I keep going over one particular ancestor and can't decide if he belongs to me or not ?! His age keeps differing. He is Thomas Masterman born I think 1855. The death cert I have for him however states that he dies in 1904 aged 45, but surely he would be 49 ? Think I'm being dumb here but how do I double check that this is the correct line I'm following ?? Cheers Marie x

Jay

Jay Report 19 Aug 2007 21:34

Hi, I think my lot changed their ages with the weather..lol. Often those notifying the death wouldn`t actually know just how old the deceased person was. Birthdates didn`t count as they do today and a year or two over the years would often be added or dropped. Jay

Linda

Linda Report 19 Aug 2007 21:35

Hi Marie Do you know where he was born, and have you found him on the censuses?

Marie

Marie Report 19 Aug 2007 21:38

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I have him on census with his wife hannah and kids in 1891 in Newcastle. Thing is someone called John Implis registered the death ! Have no idea who he was ! Think he could be a neighbour and therefore unsure of Thomas' exact age ! I think I have just answered my own question !! xx

Marie

Marie Report 19 Aug 2007 21:41

Yes, good point ! Thankyou !xx

Marie

Marie Report 19 Aug 2007 21:42

Sorry guys, am being unexpectedly chucked off the pc ! grrrr...will check back later for any more comments !! Thanks very much xxxx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2007 22:04

1881 Name: Thomas Masterman Age: 24 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857 Relation: Son in Law Spouse's Name: Hannah Gender: Male Where born: Newcastle On Tyne Civil Parish: Byker County/Island: Northumberland Country: England Street address: 78 Oswald Tce Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Occupation: Hammerman Registration district: Newcastle Upon Tyne Sub-registration district: Byker ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Hannah Lethart 85 Hannah Masterman 20 Margaret Masterman Thomas Masterman 24 Agnes Storey 49 John Storey 25 Thomas Storey 59 The marriage.........father's details will be on the cert Thomas Masterman 1879 Apr-May-Jun Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland, Tyne and Wear Hannah Storey 1879 Apr-May-Jun Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland, Tyne and Wear Volume: 10b Page: 190 Not sure how much info you have............. Does the occupation ascribed to him on the death cert tie in with census info? Reg

Linda

Linda Report 19 Aug 2007 22:14

Hi, found him on the 1901 as Manterman, occupation blacksmith's stoker, living at 40 Robinson Street, Byker if it's any help! Name: Thomas Manterman Age: 46 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855 Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Hannah Gender: Male Where born: Newcastle-On-Tyne Civil Parish: Byker Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael Town: Newcastle Upon Tyne County/Island: Northumberland Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne Sub-registration district: Byker ED, institution, or vessel: 13 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 41 Household Members: Name Age Agnes Manterman 12 Hannah Manterman 40 Henry Manterman 14 John R Manterman 18 Thomas Manterman 46 Thomas Manterman 16 View Original Record View original image

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Aug 2007 22:47

I can't find any people with name Implis recorded on any UK census. Do you think the registrar got it wrong? Ozi.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2007 22:54

I would hazard a guess at Inglis......... Reg

Marie

Marie Report 20 Aug 2007 08:30

Hi Guys Firstly would like to say a BIG THANKYOU to Linda for finding my family in 1901 as I had never managed to ! Yes, Thomas was a blacksmiths striker. I have the marriage cert for him and Hannah, cheers Reg. He is a blacksmiths striker on the marriage cert and a hammerman on the census which I presume are one and the same thing. You could be right Reg, it could well be Inglis, the death cert was a bit tricky to decipher ! He died at 40 Robinson Street, although I couldn't help but wonder why his family/wife wasn't present at death ? Thanks again for everyones help x

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 20 Aug 2007 08:48

The family could well have been present at his death. The person registering the death may or may not have been there, they just went to the registrar to fill in the form.

Marie

Marie Report 20 Aug 2007 08:49

Oh I see, thanks Kitty x