Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Your Way Around a Micro Film - Tip

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 19 Aug 2007 15:05

Hi After many months of searching Parish Records on microfilm, a couple of days ago I visited Wigan Archives, there was a very helpful man there who advised me how to find my way around microfilms. When there are lots and lots of churches on one microfilm and you dont know which church you are searching in, I didnt realise that the RG number in the margin is related to a certain church. On the box it gives the RG number of the church and on each page of the microfilm it gives it too. As I say after many months of searching (and being dumb and too impatient) it is a lot easier to search through, especially when the area is late 1700s early 1800s and a lot are very difficult to read. At least you know what section you are on. Perhaps I was too impatient and excited and I didnt bother to ask at the beginning, and no I still havent found who I am looking for but at least its a little bit easier!!! Good luck with your research everyone. Marilyn