Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

<b>Java viewer download for Scotlands People??<b/>

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 07:56

I went into Scotlands People and bought £12 worth of credits. After this I went into view some older images I had on Scotlands People, I had used java dowload for these. Now being told I can't view these images with this type of java, must dowload new Java, went to java dowload and it say I have the most up to date one. Now can't view anything on SP and have sent them a message. What now?? Betty

Woody's

Woody's Report 19 Aug 2007 08:01

Hi Betty Try 'Direct Download' instead - I find it gives a much better image. I can easily view all previous images (used to use Activex - my computer doesn't 'like' Java!)

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 08:04

Hi Woody, Thanks for you message, I had thought about direct dowload but what will happen to all the images I already have stored on Scotlands people website. I can't even open them, what will happen to those images. Betty

Woody's

Woody's Report 19 Aug 2007 08:44

They should open perfectly with Direct Download. I notice it comes up on a seperate screen (at least it does with Vista). I can even see some images that were very hard to read before - had an 1855 marriage cert that was particularly hard to decipher but can now see it perfectly. You can save the certs to your computer (at top left-hand of the cert there is a small square with 'copy to gallery' click that), name them (right hand side you'll see a mini-cert with today's date on it!, just enter in that box). The certs are then saved in 'My pictures', and can be reopened with either 'paint' or 'windows photo gallery'. Give it a try and let me know how you get on. I'm working on some tips on how to get the best out of SP for the SFT site and will add them once organised!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 08:58

Hi Woody, I don't have Vista!! I have Windows XP. Anyway you can only do a direct download on SP if you haven't already opened the image with Java before. I tried to open an image I had previously viewed, wanted to get a direct download as you suggested but I couldn't download it as it had been previously opened with java. Betty

Woody's

Woody's Report 19 Aug 2007 09:44

Can't understand that - I've just tried with my laptop which has Windows XP and there was no problem. I looked at a very early image that hadn't been opened since the 'Windows 98' days - I wear out computers, it seems!! - and that opened alright. You should hear back from SP later today, if not then tomorrow in working hours, so hope they can sort it.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 10:52

Hi Woody, Just thought I would let you know I contacted SP and had an automated reply saying they would get in touch with me soon but I tried SP again and I can view my images again. So alls well that ends well as they say. Betty

Woody's

Woody's Report 19 Aug 2007 11:13

That's good! Have a try with Direct download just to see if it works for you on older images.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 12:21

Hi Woody, I usually just download the image from SP into my picture folder anyway, so I have two copies one in SP and one in my picture folder. Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Aug 2007 13:31

Hi again Woody, Images on SP have gone again, don't know whats going on now. Betty