Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can some one advise me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 14:36

ive just started doing my tree,and i have got ancestry.im still finding my way around,and i think i have found my great grandad, john lacey born 1896 loughborough on the 1901 census it says mary orme aswell,is this his grandmother,and would that be his mums maiden name.and does this mean ive found a new name?? im still learning but would be gratefull for some advice.thankyou nikki x

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 14:38

Nikki, Have you clicked on the image itself? Relationsips to head of house are shown on the actual census page. Janice

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 14:41

Mary Orme is head of house - widow and she is Ada's mother, Arthur's mother in law, John's grandmother. So you now have the maiden name of John's mother. janice

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 14:45

hello,it says that shes the head ,but by looking at it i think it means that adas name before marriage was orme.this is where im not sure if ive read it right,like i said i am a beginner and have,nt got a clue.im just learning.thankyou for your help nikkix

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 14:46

Yes you are right.

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 14:47

Dec qtr 1892 Loughborough 7a 298 marriage of Ada Orme and Arthur Lacey (found on FreeBMD)

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 14:48

janice thankyou so much,i just needed to know i was doing it right.now i can add to my basic tree,then i need to send off for birth certificate to confirm this[is that right]nikkix

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 14:59

Hi Nikki, If you are sure you have the right John Lacey then this census takes you back to the previous generation. As you already know Ada's maiden name I would save your £7 for something you need to know to help you progress. If money is no object then buy the birth cert. Ada is on the 1881 census with both parents so you'll find her father's name there. Have fun - but be warned: this hobby is seriously addictive and there is no known cure lol! Janice

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 15:35

thankyou janice,this has helped so much.i think ive found a bit more,im just trying to back it up on ancestry,would it be ok to contact you if im struggling?thanks again nikkix

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 15:44

Yes, of course :-) Let me know where you are searching and i might be able to suggest other sites that you don't know about yet. Janice

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 18 Aug 2007 15:44

Nikki just a bit of advice if you run in to dificulty just ask on this board the people on here are brillient and will do their very best to help they have helped me enormasly. Paul

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 16:11

Janice, Thankyou so much.going to call it a day for today but no doubt you will be hearing from me again. I really appreciate the help you have givn me as it is all new for me. I have been saying for a long time that i wanted to do it so my partner has paid for this and ancestry for my b'day, didn't realise it would be so hard lol! Thanks again Nikki x x

* Nikki *

* Nikki * Report 18 Aug 2007 16:12

Paul, Thanks for the advise! I know they really are brilliant i have been helped no end today. It's all very new to me but have managed to find out some new info today with the help of people nikki x

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 16:16

Hehe! Hope your partner realises he'll never be able to get onto the computer now! Maybe you should encourage him to take up gardening or fishing ;-) Have fun, janice

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 18 Aug 2007 16:28

true words Janice my misses keeps asking am I married to her or the puter. LOL Paul

Janice

Janice Report 18 Aug 2007 16:31

Paul, she ought to be pleased to be able to get her hands on the remote control ;-)