Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question about British Army Pension Records on Anc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annette

Annette Report 21 Aug 2007 12:13

My Granddad served in WW1 but I cannot find his Army Pension record on Ancestry. I have found Army Pension records for two other men in my tree. I'm not sure how complete these records are - Does anyone have any info on this please? Thanks, Annette

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2007 12:15

I'm not certain but I don't think the records are complete. Not everyone who served in the army got a pension either. Are you sure he did? Kath. x

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 21 Aug 2007 12:59

Unfortunately a large number of WW1 records were destroyed in WW11....not many remain intact, sadly.

Annette

Annette Report 21 Aug 2007 13:21

Thanks for the replies. Kathleen - all I know is that my Granddad served in the Army for the duration of WW1, I don't think he served any time outside the war years. Annette

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2007 13:24

I think you have to serve a certain number of years before you qualify for a pension. Kath. x

Samantha

Samantha Report 21 Aug 2007 13:55

It may be worth contacting the regiment you think he may have joined. There are regiment museums that can also help or point you to the right location. I did this as I had the same problem and the major contacted me himself with more info than I ever imagined, even regarding other members of my family. Are you familiar with army regiments?

Annette

Annette Report 21 Aug 2007 18:54

Thanks for all the info. My Granddad came home without injury, as far as I know, so its not likely he received a pension. Annette

Horatia

Horatia Report 21 Aug 2007 19:47

Not all the records are uploaded yet. So far they have only uploaded the Unburnt Records - they haven't put the Burnt Records on yet. By 2008 the process should be complete. Even with all the records uploaded, there won't be a record for everyone who served in WW1. Cheers, Horatia