Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why is my real name appearing instead of my board

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 22 Aug 2007 23:37

I just posted a new topic and was horrified to see my real name appearing alongside it instead of my board name
what is going on ???????
be gone

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2007 23:40

All women seem to be coming up with their maiden name.

Go to "my account" and change your maiden name for whatever you want to come up when posting on threads.

Kath. x

Val wish I'd never started Report 22 Aug 2007 23:40

thanks but why is it happening its not good enough I am beginning to hate this site
be gone name

Val wish I'd never started Report 22 Aug 2007 23:46

just checking its worked

hoping this puts my board name back

Horatia

Horatia Report 23 Aug 2007 00:28

Just checking mine!

Val wish I'd never started Report 23 Aug 2007 17:04

if you go to edit and just type anything in the reply box it will change your name back to your baord name

Joy

Joy Report 23 Aug 2007 17:12

My birth surname is a full stop. ... :-)

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 Aug 2007 07:24

Terence, there will be many people on here who want to have some control over the contacts they make on here - not to be contacted out of the blue by an ex-spouse for instance.

I had the experience of being contacted by a nutter a couple of years ago who was adamant that she was the product of an extramarital affair by my uncle. She wouldn't drop it even though I gave her absolute proof of his innocence. And this was simply because of a coincidence of a fairly common name.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Aug 2007 12:20

If somebody really wants to contact you they will. They won't be put off by fancy board names on GR. Surely they would simply search for the name on the database, in the phone book or electoral roll.

Also remember that if you have changed your real name, you will need to put it back before you try and upload a new gedcom.

Lynne

Lynne Report 27 Aug 2007 15:34

Terence

It may have been meant as a joke but as you are not showing YOUR surname, it did look rather suspect!
LOL!! (Just so this is not taken the wrong way) !

I do not want my maiden name OR married name showing on here for exactly the reason that Paul has suggested.

Lynne