Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with date please!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 Aug 2007 20:08

Hi, i have a querie, my G,Uncle who was killed in 1ww 1916, he married 25th Dec 1913, i have the marriage cert,
recently i found him on the roll of honour and there was a write up about him, it also said he married 25th Dec 1915!!! surely the marriage cert is right? also it said he enlisted shortly after war broke out in Aug 1914, i remember a G.Aunt [who is no longer with us] telling me that they did'nt have any children cos they were only married a short while.
thanks for your help,
Chris.

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 23 Aug 2007 20:22

I would go by the marriage cert. My Great Grandfathers name is wrong on his medal card for WW1 so I wouldn't be surprised if they got the date a bit out

Linda

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 23 Aug 2007 20:29

He could've already been enlisted when he was married.

Ozi.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Aug 2007 20:35

Does his age on the marriage cert match his DOB?

Reg

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Aug 2007 20:39

Hi Chris.
Either someone has copied it wrong or the 3 looks like a 5.
Go by the marriage cert.

Malcolm.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 23 Aug 2007 20:43

thanks for your replys.
yes his DOB matches the marriage cert he was born Nov 1892, so he had not long turned 21 that's his age on the cert.
chris.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Aug 2007 22:10

I reckon (unless he committed bigamy!) some one has misread the 3 for a 5.

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Aug 2007 22:20

Information on the roll of honour as on any documentation is only as good as the information supplied---by whoever! Trust the marriage certificate.
I have found several errors on the cwgc site--not their fault, they can only use info given to them, often mistaken info!

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 24 Aug 2007 01:58

As you can verify the marriage date contact the CWGC and they will correct the mistake.

Denis

Denis Report 24 Aug 2007 11:23

Hi

When you talk about ' Roll of Honour' do you mean the CWGC site or somewhere else? I can't recall seeing date of enlistment on the CWGC site. Any chance of having details of the person concerned?

Denis

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 24 Aug 2007 13:40

it is the Marquis de Ruvigny roll of honour,

can't remember the site it was on now,it was a while ago, but it was pay-per-view, try googling Marquis de Ruvigny.
Chris.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 24 Aug 2007 13:43

here it is! i've just googled it,

Military-genealogy.com

Denis

Denis Report 25 Aug 2007 08:31

Hi

Do you have access to any medals? If, for example, he has the 1914 Star then he must have enlisted early on. If you can't access medals then check the Medal Index Cards online at National Archives.

Denis

Nanny Pat

Nanny Pat Report 25 Aug 2007 11:13

Ancestry now have WW1 pension records online, although not all of them survived. I have been lucky so far in finding quite a few ancestors.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 25 Aug 2007 14:40

yes, i have his medal card