Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 27 Aug 2007 16:42

If the local registry offices will keep their lists of who they have registered in each quarter of each year??

The reason I am asking is that my G Grandad used two names and I'm having trouble finding his birth registration. Because his name is very unusual and could be spelt many different ways I just wondered if I contacted the local office whether they would be able to look it up and see what name he was registered under.

Here's hoping someone will know

Julie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Aug 2007 16:46

When was he born?

If it was before 1875, the birth may not be registered.......

Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2007 16:46

Yes, register offices will have the records. You can always order your certificates from the register office if you want to (although I prefer the GRO) and some register offices in London don't supply certificates for family history purposes.

What name are you looking for and when?

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 27 Aug 2007 16:54

His name on his marriage certificate is Henry Manouvrier. His name on the 1901 census is Thomas Allen. His name on my grandad's bc is William Manouveries! His name on his dc is William Thomas Manouveries. His name on his first son's bc is Manouthier. His name on his 2nd son's bc is Manouvier. He was born 1869/70. I have found a Mary Monouvier dc in Medway 1888. This is where G Grandad lived and worked. So as you can see it is very confusing. Hubby thinks there's something a bit "dodgy" with him as my Grandad seemed quite ashamed of his family and never talked about them. Grandad died 19 yrs ago and I was too young to be really interested in family trees then. The reason I know that he was Thomas Allen on 1901 is that he used another mans name so that he could serve with the Australian Navy (have found him on their achives). My Grandad also used the name of Allen when a professional footballer and boxer.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2007 17:05

You still wouldn't know for certain what his name really was, as people spelt names in those days the way they heard them. A lot of people were illiterate and wouldn't know if someone had spelt the name wrongly.

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 27 Aug 2007 17:45

No I realsie that but I just wondered if there would be anything that resembled the names that I have and perhaps try to piece together any info I have. I think though it will remain one of life's little mysteries (very frustrating!!!!!).
Thanks anyway, may still try ringing the registry office as they are very helpful there, or even try to pop in sometime.

Julie
x