Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last word on the new site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 28 Aug 2007 20:11

I've just been told by Support that
"The new site was shown to half of the GR members with even membership keys. All feedback was analysed before the new site was launched."

Now I'm an odd one (stop sniggering at the back :-) Did all you even-numbered people get to see it and give your feedback?

--
Dave.

Marie

Marie Report 28 Aug 2007 20:16

Ditto, I also am odd :)

Sue

Sue Report 28 Aug 2007 20:17

I think I am even, I certainly gave them feedback! Can't remember being told that it was in a trial phase, it just landed on my laptop without any pre-amble whatsoever!

Sue

damandblast

damandblast Report 28 Aug 2007 20:26

I'm definately odd! lol.

Most confused when it changed but I am getting the hang of it now.

Di

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 28 Aug 2007 20:31

Hi,
No one asked me, I had new site for 2 1/2 days then it went now I have a different format, Hope it is the last.
Phyllis

Sue

Sue Report 28 Aug 2007 20:37

BTW Dave,

Do you really think this will be the last word on the new site? ROFL...bet you it's not!

Sue

Eileen

Eileen Report 28 Aug 2007 21:33

Not been on for over a week - don't like it - no-one asked me - being a 'silver surfer' well just round the edges actually, my usual view is 'if it ain't broke, don't mend it'
I think that just about covers my view on the 'new look'
By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the way that GR puts all unknowns onto your hotmatch if you have an 'unknown' on it. Maybe its just me - or does everyone on GR get all my 'unknowns' too, as a 'hotmatch'.
Does this make sense to anyone?
Eileen

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 28 Aug 2007 22:23

My view too is......... 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

No doubt in a few months time it will be 'all change' again.

Just like working for the County Council!!

They get all these very expensive bods in to tweek the systems...but they don't actually ask the 'users' how it will affect them.......never mind getting the 'users' to do any trials.

Seems sort of logical really. Users can soon spot the pit falls as they use the system all the time!
So simple, so obvious!

Oh hum.

Jo

Jo Report 28 Aug 2007 22:23

I'm obviously odd too... knew that... but I quite like it so far.

Hot matches were completly useless and now they're just mostly useless - that's an improvement :-)

Not so sure about the Trying to Find's but I'm getting used to it.

Overall I think I prefer it.

Jo

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Aug 2007 22:47

I had the new format site early, but I don't remember seeing anywhere that asked for feedback about what we thought of the site - just a little box to report any problems (which I did).

It certainly didn't make it clear that they wanted feedback - and in any case, once they'd spent a fortune changing the site, I'm sure there was no chance of them saying "Oh, all right, you don't like it so we'll keep the old one".....was there?

Kath. x

angelas ashes

angelas ashes Report 28 Aug 2007 23:00

Its certainly making my brain work!!..Jo you said the trying to find seems ok? My prob is that when you go into the name you want every one is Trying to find.......

We know that cos we put the surname in,in the first place....you then have to go into every one to get the info..mainly because everyone nearly always starts off with..yes you guessed..trying to find!!!

It needs to have the christian name or place in the title...`Trying to find` on each one is unnecessary.....

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Aug 2007 06:08

Kath,

That WAS the feedback. I don't think they were looking for individual opinions, but more feedback on any problems that people were experiencing.

I must admit, I reported four or five issues and they were all dealt with promptly.

There have been a number of comments on the "if it aint broke" theme. Surely this is contradictory. With all the complaints that things aren't just right then surely it DOES need fixing.

Ongoing enhancements are part and parcel of the IT world, like it or not.

As I have said on previous occasions, gas lamps weren't broke, but how many of you use them in preference to electricity?