Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are they really complete birth registers ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Aug 2007 22:34

On the ancestry site, are the birth registers really complete ?
For a start - I'm nowhere to be found but my brothers are !
Nor are two ancestors that I've spent months searching for.
Susannah Dawson born 1855/1856 and states in the census that she was born in Washington, Co Durham and her sister Esther Dawson born 1878, Seaham, Co Durham.
They are both in the 1891 census by which time Susannah has married Robert Hoare and sister Esther is staying with them but nothing on them before that.
I really need to order their birth certificates but have no idea where to apply as I can find neither birth registration - anywhere.
Anyone got any suggestions ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2007 22:37

Birth registration wasn't compulsory until 1875.......so any births in years prior to then may simply not be registered, and you will not be able to get a cert.

As a matter of interest.........have you posted about these girls in the past? Or is someone else researching them?

Reg

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Aug 2007 22:41

Some of the BMD indexes on Ancestry are indexed incorrectly.

Maureen

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Aug 2007 22:43

It is also possible that they were registered but the details never made it to the GRO.
It would be worthwhile contacting the local registery office to see if they have a record.

Cood luck
Chris

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Aug 2007 22:51

Thanks to you all for the tips, I'll take a chance on the local register office maybe they have something that the GRO haven't got.
And yes Reggie, I have asked for help on these two sisters before but am no further forward than I was back then.
I toyed with the idea of ordering their marriage certificates but I know that they'll only tell me that their father's name was John Dawson, Coal miner and I obviously already know that.
Once again thanks for the tips

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2007 23:34

This may be a complete red herring...but there is no other record on Ancestry which could be this girl..............no census info, and no death or marriage (at least not on the transcribed section)

Name: Esther Dowsey
Year of Registration: 1877
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Easington
County: Durham
Volume: 10a
Page: 429

Any thoughts?......anyone! Open to ideas.........

Reg